GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Ignition Key Will not Turn - Ideas?

Default Ignition Key Will not Turn - Ideas?

My trusty e34 with nearly a quarter million miles o it has for the first time left me stranded. Luckily I'm in my work parking lot and and will catch a ride home with my wife when she leaves her office, but I'm stumped.

I drove it at lunch today and everything was fine, get into the car to leave this afternoon and I cannot turn the ignition key. I've tried the normal turning the steering wheel slightly left and right and nothing. I cannot turn the ignition key. The car is parked facing slightly downhill and I have no reasonable way to get it back to level ground at this point (if that matters).

Any guesses on what it might be or how to go about resolving. Hope I'm not looking at a tow to the nearest dealer. This car has not been to the dealer since I purchased it in 2001.

Thanks in advance.
    1990 535i 5-sp., except for 16" M-Contours, cd deck, and clear corners, completely stock. 226k and running strong

You could try removing the steering column shroud and tap on the lock assembly while trying to turn the key.

Failing that:
    www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/566688/

Okay, I'm sure this isn't the problem - but it happened to my daughter. She didn't have the auto trans all the way in park and the key would not turn. It looks like you have a 5 speed, but I imagine it has a similar sort of interlock checking whether the clutch is in or something. Sometimes it's the easy stuff...
    Scott
    '93 525iT 245k miles (sold, but not forgotten)
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

You may try putting a little dry lock lubricant in the tumbler. Those things are notorious for locking up like that.

If it fails it could be the tumbler or the steering lock under that. There're very good write-ups on that, by DavidC if I remember on bimmerboard with photos and text on how to remove and put back everything.
    1993 (build 93/05) 525i automatic M50TU (vanos) 263K miles (ca. 423000 km) in Montreal, Canada (bought the car 9 years ago in San Diego, CA)

Not that I recommend doing this unless your willing to live with the possible consequences, but I had a similar issue, and I just stuck the key in the ignition, grabbed it with a pair of channel locks, and turned.

What ever was binding, is not longer binding. I did that in July and haven't had any issues since. Your mileage may vary.

On a Mercedes forum I frequent, people report lock cylinder failures fairly often. One remedy people often suggest is to put the key in the lock and hold a vibrating (non-orbital) electric sander against the key. Without sandpaper, of course. The vibrations apparently can make the tumblers line up a little better and enable the key to turn.

I've never tried it, but people report success.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

It turned out to be a broken steering lock mechanism and the lock/tumblers/key cylinder thing had to be replaced too. About $400 parts and labor at a local independent shop. I didn't have the time to DIY on this one. First time the car has been in the shop since I purchased it on the weekend before 9/11/2001.

I had them go ahead and replace the right/front hub/bearing while it was in the shop.
    1990 535i 5-sp., except for 16" M-Contours, cd deck, and clear corners, completely stock. 226k and running strong

three years ago a Dealer did the same job for me, twice the $$$$

John

Cool trick... that is very cool trick.