GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CD43 business CD head unit installation....

Default Georoge,

Quote Originally Posted by George M
    Ryan,
    Believe the reason why this swap isn't performed more readily is availability of the CD43 and the incompatible harness that scares many away. The appearance of the radio is amazing in the dash of an E-34 or E-32...looks better than the original radio IMHO which is hard to beat for appearance. There are some great radios out there...the issue is how they cosmetically meld with the I.P....most not so well.
    Once I saw one mounted in an E-32, I had to have one.
    Will post some pics tomorrow if I get a chance.
    George

that looks like the common later radio plug (91-) like i said earlyer the plug's the same style but the pin positions change, for example you can plug a 96 and up e36 head unit into a 95 e36 and not all of the speakers work, so some of the inputs to the crossover are not getting there. you may get to do some detective work to get everything going to the correct input for good stereo sound. i tried a factory infinity amp from a 92 750 that had the same plugs as my 535 and the sound was weird, i had to turn off the radio on the trip home because the harmonics were making my head hurt (screwing with my inner ear i guess) i've come across a lot of that crap where the wires move around the plug from year to year on the later bmw's all over the car
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default Thanks Winfred...yup should be compatible...

with the BMW plug from '91 on...though I have no doubt what you wrote is correct...the pins likely move around a bit between model years even using the same connector. According to the guy that installed the CD43 into his 91 750iL is was plug and play. Do you happen to have a 91 E-34 or E-32 out in the yard?

If not...Mike as I recall you purchased your plug from www.installer.com.
    Was that connector plug and play? Also, which model BMW radio did you install?...terminals though using the same connector may be slightly different than the CD43 as Winfred stated. Mike, do you have the part number for the connector you purchased?
    Many Thanks,
    George

That head unit looks really nice. Will my existing pioneer CD changer be compatible with it if I were to upgrade? My existing head still works great but one of the bulbs in the display is out and I'm lazy to spend the afternoon soldering. Wouldn't mind a new head with buttons instead of the slider to skip tracks though.

Default Hi Alan....agree...looks right in these cars...

the Kenwood 715S I currently have in my car is a wonderful radio...real good sound, but it doesn't integrate cosmetically as good as a BMW factory radio...why I am switching. Would say your CD changer will not be compatible but you may contact a reputable radio shop and get the skinny on whether the two could be made to work together. Generally the head unit and CD changer must almost be made for one another for them to communicate without a glitch.
    George

My existing head is a BMW OEM with a Pioneer branded CD changer. I know that some of the old alpines in BMWs also work with the Pioneer made changers. Wondering if this one is one of them. Time to do some research.

yep

Quote Originally Posted by George M
    Do you happen to have a 91 E-34 or E-32 out in the yard?
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12