GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: how to refill a ZF 4hp22?

Default how to refill a ZF 4hp22?

Hello,

I refilled a little more than 3 litres after a simple drain using the drain plug.

When running, Dipstick is dry

When cold, dipstick is soaked even way above max.

I don't understand.

thx for the input.

EDIT:
    I'm doing some research and I found that the TC could drip oil
    ZF22 Transmission Fluid Drain. [Procedure:] ZF 4HP22 Transmission Fluid Change. This is passed along for the 740 owners with this transmission. I have the same transmission on my Peugeot and found out that if you leave the car for a few days on with the front end on jack stands, the fluid in the converter will slowly drip out. This way you can get an almost complete drain before refilling. [Maintenance Note:] There also seems to be a consensus by mechanics who work on this transmission that there is no advantage to using synthetic AT fluid (this question asked relative to the early failure problems from revving the engine with transmission in neutral). [Contrary Opinion:] I agree there is a problem with those trannies. You should know one more thing, HEAT is the biggest enemy of every tranny (especially in automatics). I've got one on my 740 and synthetic ATF dropped the tranny temperature from 92C to 60C (driving in a summer for about 40min. in a city). I've measured the temp. on the tranny metal line, the temp. of the fluid itself is most likely higher.
    Last edited by Mordan; 11-26-2010 at 10:32 AM.

The TC dripping oil thing in that post you quoted is for draining the tranny to make sure you get as much out as possible. Has nothing to do with filling it.

To fill it make sure the tranny is up to temp and the car is on a level surface. With the engine running and the tranny in park you should have the fluid level up to the high/full mark on the dipstick. Remember, the tranny must be up to operating tempurature, engine running & in park to check the level properly.

At least you don't have a 5hp30 Those are fun to fill...
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

thanks for the feedback.

Haynes manual says you can check level when cold. Since ATF fluid expands when hot, when cold, checking level should give an indication at least!

When hot, nothing on the dipstick

When cold, over well over max.

Should I rephrase the question:

Does have ATF fluid level COLD any meaning on the dipstick?

thx

I just replace what was taken out. the tc doesnt leak oil except if a seal is leaking.

I guess the cold level does have meaning, when mine is cold I can see atf on the dipstick.

could should not be well over max, as you know, atf expands

Quote Originally Posted by Mordan View Post
    thanks for the feedback.
    When hot, nothing on the dipstick
    When cold, over well over max.
    Should I rephrase the question:
    Does have ATF fluid level COLD any meaning on the dipstick?
    thx
    On a level surface and the car pretty much warmed up, not exactly hot as hell, put it through all the gears at an idle then back into park. Then check the fluid level, thats what you should be looking at. The level goes up when sitting and cold cause the Torque Converter is not completely full, when warm it should go full after going through all the gears emptying the air out of the valve body & TQ.

Bubba is right, try this with the car on ramps and jack stands (level) (no dip stick), idling while warm and running it trough the gears, then go back under on your back and pull that huge plug to see where your at. It does suck. Mine leaks a wee bit so I developed an easier way that over fills it about 1/2 a quart and good for about 2 years.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss View Post
    I just replace what was taken out.
    This assumes a proper level to start with. Best to use the dipstick or do it the hard way on the no stick trannys.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"