GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: '93 525iT getting trans program now, throwing TPS code

Default '93 525iT getting trans program now, throwing TPS code

Stomp test reflects code 1216, Throttle Potentiometer (TPS). I replcaed it and it's still throwing it! Any tips? I need to dig out my Bentley and start hooking up the multimeter, but what kinda magic have you guys found?

Also, it seems to only do this at idle, it has never gone into trans program if im moving.
    Last edited by bimmerd00d; 11-08-2010 at 10:11 AM.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

A friend of mine said to flush the fluid, the sensors get weak over time and a fluid flush fixes it every time.

The tranny needs a TPS signal or it wont play either so thats why you get transprog. My old tranny did that even though the ECU didnt register a fault. In my case the tranny was on its last legs so I didnt believe it anyway. But if you have got the fault code on both the ECU and EGS its really time to get the meter out
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

1. take your hand and make sure that your throttle plate is returning to the fully closed position. mine would occasionally give trans programs when my plate wasn't quite going back home. my idle was also crap during this time.

The MAF, ICV and your throttle sensor are interconnected in function and purpose. IIRC bmw put out a tsb about either the ICV or the TPS causing trans programs. is your idle off in any way at all? it looks as though the car is telling you that it can't reconcile the amount of air that is supposed to be coming in with the idle speed of the motor. check to make sure that the throttle is shutting.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine View Post
    1. take your hand and make sure that your throttle plate is returning to the fully closed position. mine would occasionally give trans programs when my plate wasn't quite going back home. my idle was also crap during this time.

The MAF, ICV and your throttle sensor are interconnected in function and purpose. IIRC bmw put out a tsb about either the ICV or the TPS causing trans programs. is your idle off in any way at all? it looks as though the car is telling you that it can't reconcile the amount of air that is supposed to be coming in with the idle speed of the motor. check to make sure that the throttle is shutting.
    You know what, the idle seems to be high when this happens....you might be onto something.

if it is unusually high i'd put money on it being one of the three things i mentioned, with the most likely candidate being the plate.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine View Post
    if it is unusually high i'd put money on it being one of the three things i mentioned, with the most likely candidate being the plate.
    I went ahead and changed the fluid as I thought it needed it. The fluid wasn't TOO brown, just a darker shade of red. It seemed to be a bit low, it sure took a lot more than i drained out. It took 6qts of Valvoline Max Life, but only about 3.5 or so came out if that. Shortly after changing that at a friend's house, I had about a 25mi drive home. I got to the first stop light about 5mi away and it went into trans program after sitting at the light for roughly 2-3min. I restarted, made the rest of the trip home without hitting a light. Got out and saw the idle screw in there, and played with that a litle bit. Dropped the idle just a slight amount and then put it in drive with the ebrake on and just let it sit for a while. It idled there for 10min just fine. I then grabbed the fiance and the pup and took it on our usual ~15 mile loop. It mainly consists of some backroads. We got back home and i repeated the parking brake in drive test. 10 more minutes and it was just fine. I think the idle might have been too high. Does the idle change with temperature? It seems to have started now that the temps have started dropping in Tejas. Thanks for the help guys.

Changing the fluid, I noticed a change in the shifting patterns just about immediately. Also the mileage seems to have skyrocketed, i thought it just got bad mileage because it's a heavy touring with a small high mileage motor with an auto. I take the same route home from work each day as i do from my friend's house. I normally get about 21-23 if i reset the gauge at the last light before the highway. I reset it there and now im seeing 27-30. What the hell?! A downside i've noticed is now the 2-3 shift at part throttle has just a slight delay. I'll see how it changes after it cools overnight. I can deal with the slight hesitation. It doesn't feel like it's slipping or anything. If i nail it from a standstill it shifts much more smooth than it did before at redline. Before it would shift pretty hard and kinda kick me in the seat. Now it's a nice smooth but firm shift.

EDIT: Took a road trip to the parents' place this weekend, about 650mi or so. So far, NO problems at all. mileage is still up a bit, it still has the 2-3 shift hesitation, but it isn't too bad. No trans program either, and shifts are buttery smooth for the most part.
    Last edited by bimmerd00d; 11-16-2010 at 12:13 AM.

Hey Dood,
    I thought you were going to put a manual tranny in your touring? I just did a search, and my car has been sitting for almost a year, at my mom's house. I'm finally having my tranny rebuilt. I really miss this car, as I have been driving the '84 528 since my tranny problems. Good luck with you trans program code.

Greg Mendoza

Quote Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
    Hey Dood,
    I thought you were going to put a manual tranny in your touring? I just did a search, and my car has been sitting for almost a year, at my mom's house. I'm finally having my tranny rebuilt. I really miss this car, as I have been driving the '84 528 since my tranny problems. Good luck with you trans program code.
    I do plan on tossing a 5-spd in, but it's one of those "ah i sure could use this money elsewhere right now..." i'm getting married next May, so a ~$500-700 purchase is gonna throw up a few red flags. To be perfectly honest I don't really hate the auto that much right now. In the summer when the motor has to turn the a/c compressor, and the mechanical fan it takes off like an 18 wheeler. It'll easily make it through the winter on the auto without me wanting to jerk the wheel into a bridge embankment.