GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Windscreen trim

Default Windscreen trim

As I stated in a different post, I just put new tires on my E34.
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showt...tyres&p=336785

Well, of course I had to try out the tires, so I took it out onto the expressway. 50mph-good, 60-good, 70-good, 75-good, 80mph - BAM WHAT WAS THAT!! Sounded like someone threw a baseball and hit the back of the wagon. I pull over and check the tires, lug nuts, gas cap, everything I could think of - I find nothing. Back to the expressway. Get it back up to about 75mph and BANG! There's that noise again. Pull off the road, check all around the car and don't see anything wrong.

I go to get back in the car and notice the Windshield Trim has pulled away from the snaps holding it in place and it must have been slapping the roof of the car when the wind (and speed) was just right! On further inspection, quite a few of the clips that hold it in place are broken, and some of the little windows in the trim are broken where it would engage the clips. I easily just removed the whole trim and put it in the back.

So, what do we do now, how do I fix this? It doesn't look like the clips can be easily replaced, they are glued in with the window aren't they? Maybe I should just glue the trim back on? Has anyone done that and what adhesive would be recommended?

Or maybe I should just get a whole new widshield now... it's got 18 years of pitting on it.
    Scott
    '93 525iT 245k miles (sold, but not forgotten)
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

I just did this on Natalie's 525iT in the Spring. Go ahead and buy the clips, you will have to trim off the bottom edge with a set of klines or tin snips, leaving part of the "C" shape in place to fit under the window. It takes a little manuvering, but they will work into place, provided its a little warm. Be careful not to pry too hard to seat them on the widow edge. The double stick tape they come with will further help to keep them secure. Do about 24-25 of the little buggers, and snap your trim back into place knowing it is secure. Do them one at a time as to locate them because they correspond to the openings in the trim. It has worked now for the past 8 or 9 months with no issues. Just like you, she heard this banging when she passed a truck, she pulled over and saved both pieces, even the little center piece.
    It's not that bad a job, takes about an hour, you might buy a few extra in case a couple goof up on you.

Hope this helps Scott,

Jr

It's not a bad repair. My old writeup from '06 is here http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showt...res&highlight=
    and it's held up just fine. Relied on the super adhesive tape on the back of the clips, only trick was using 2 pieces of release paper to make it easier to have them in place before you pull the release paper.
    Link to my M50 engine rebuild thread
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php/43339-M50-Eng-4L30E-Trans-RRR-Far-More-Than-I-Ever-Expected?highlight=93+525+paul