GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Trunk rust!

Default Trunk rust!

I noticed some paint bubbling by the license plate lights last week. Looks like the seals weren't keeping water out anymore and the lights and trunk lid were corroding. I cleaned the light fixtures and created new (though crude) gaskets from a sheet of rubber.

But, yikes! Look at that rust!

The leftmost rust spot shows where my salty wet glove usually lifts the lid in the winter. This is perhaps, the strongest argument I've seen for replacing trunk shocks, or at least waxing those parts of the car you don't usually think about.

So, to give my trunk lid a few more years of life, I sanded down the underside as best I could, covered it with two coats of rust converter, and then finished off with two more coats of heavy duty glossy black paint. It's not pretty, but it should keep the moisture and dirt out.

That's real nice work. Those gaskets are crap, I bet yours last longer than the factory ones.

I don't like salt- should be banned. It screws up the soil, plants, tarmac, and it promotes weeds, etc.

Not to mention rusting cars! If it snows and the roads are impassable we should beusing proper with snow ploughs, tyres or plain staying at home. I like that last part most, its simply too risky driving a 5er in icy conditions. Best to get a bumper car for 'cold days'... LOL!

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

dude, it's not risky to drive the 5 series on snow and ice, i've passed subarus doing winter rallies with mine.

I like the idea of installing giant bumpers on the 5 for winter. That might have to be my next "improvement." With the right tires (and an LSD and ASC ) it's pretty solid on snow and ice already, though. It just rusts too damned fast.

Hmm, well that depends whether you think driving on snow and ice is risky.... LOL! I wouldn't risk mine- drivers on normal roads are bad enough.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

i guess - as a Canadian, my approach to snow and ice is probably a bit different than that of others.

The nice thing about rust is that after a while you give up trying to save the body and just drive it while you got it. Then it's more about what the machine can do than about how it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by BennyM View Post
    The nice thing about rust is that after a while you give up trying to save the body and just drive it while you got it. Then it's more about what the machine can do than about how it looks.
    until a control arm falls off - lol.