GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blower motor replacement time for '95 525?

Default Blower motor replacement time for '95 525?

I'm going to replace the blower motor on a '95 525iT shortly and need to know about how long it should take. The bentley makes it look pretty easy. But then the bentley also frequently makes things look easier than they are by leaving out a step or three.

Any tips on doing it?

At least it looks like it should be easier to do on an M50 powered E34 than my M-Sport...
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Have you replace your resistor first?

It took me a couple hours because the M50 engine and wiring harness are in the way. The most time consuming part is angling the old blower motor just right so that it'll wiggle out. The scariest part is trying to put the new one in with out braking one of the hamster wheels. It's definitely wise to allot more time than you think you'll need. I had a friend who tried to replace his blower motor outside at sunset. He called me for pointers once it was completely dark AND raining. I said close the hood and wait for morning.

Simple. Have done it several times on the 540.. Be careful releasing the plastic strap which holds the air box cover in place. They dry out from heat and mine broke.. then you have to use your resourcefulness to secure that cover.

Also popping that metal strap which holds the blower motor itself in place can take some effort. A tool which resembles a flat head screwdriver with the head curved over creating like a hook seems like it would come in handy for getting under the end and prying it away till it pops up. be sure the whole motor is seated correctly. It should rest in wide notches so the impellers don't rub. Check its fuction before you seal everthing up again.

Shouldn't take more than an hour.
    Last edited by Jehu; 11-09-2010 at 11:58 PM.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Have you replace your resistor first?
    Nope. The noises & behavior of the fan point towards bearing failure, not resistor failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    Simple. Have done it several times on the 540.. Be careful releasing the plastic strap which holds the air box cover in place. They dry out from heat and mine broke.. then you have to use your resourcefulness to secure that cover.
    This kinda bothers me a bit. Have had many plastic bits on this car break due to age & heat. Any idea on a part # or realoem diagram so I can order a new one beforehand? Have got the resourcefulness but would rather just have the new part on hand to fix it right the first time.

And thanks guys for the hour to couple hour time quote. My schedule lately doesn't allow me much time every day to do things like this. And I want to get this taken care of asap due to the weather as of late requiring use of the blower.

Nope and on mine the lower segment was fastened to the body by a very low profile hex nut . So low of a profile that I couldn't get any of my sockets to grab in order to remove it.. Maybe vice grips may have worked.. I now have gobs of electrical tape holding the cover in place...

Was that part anything in this diagram?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...88&hg=64&fg=35

Yes. See that piece coming up from the back side at the center of #14 the bottom half of the blower case? That is the strap that comes over the cover #6 but not shown is the bottom segment to which that snaps together fastening the cover.. The Bottom section is or was plastic on mine with the bottom end fastened under a thin,flat,low profile hex head bolt and when I forst unsnapped the two halves part of the bottom piece just snapped off in my hand.. just do it very gently with this in mind.. I suppose if I cared enough Euro Depot could find me one and I imagine an open end or adjustable wrench may eventually work that bolt off but its so damned thin there's not much material to grip ,, really flat.. I have pleanty of air pressure from the blower fan maybe even more since I went Hog Wild with tape. even used Aluminum HVAC Duct tape.

So wait, it's that triangular shaped strap on the back side of part #4 in that diagram that you broke? The one part that lists for $195? Looks like it goes up and over part #'s 5 & 6 and snaps back into the other side of part #4.

Found #4 for $117 new. But at that price would rather not break it in the first place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast