GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BMW approved transmission fluids

My one is green label 5HP18, parts number ZF 1056-000-104 , BMW 24002228631, serial number C538578 from ZF/Getrag, as far as I could see today from the pit, as I repaired the hydraulic hoses for power steering, was leaking, now I replaced the crimped return line with hydraulic hose and clamp, also the flow restrictor I found.
    Apparently that is a bigger issue, BMWCCA even made an annoucement that they check the race cars for this self made mod
    E36 power steering hose leak repair
    E36 power steering hose failures

Over the past couple driving seasons we have seen a number of on-track failures of the power-steering-return hose on E36 '92-99 series, including M3. The failures we have seen were all the same; the return hose pulled off of the power steering cooler, right at the factory-crimped connection. This failure results in the fluid content of the power-steering system being disgorged in a few seconds, creating quite a hazard on the track surface for the afflicted car and following vehicles. Of course, power steering assist is also lost as well. Why these failures did not commence earlier in the E36 life cycle remains somewhat a mystery. Please note, that we have seen a new, OE hose assemblies fail on their first track session, so replacing the power-steering cooler/return hose assy with stock parts has been shown to be ineffective in addressing the problem.
    Although there is not a complete consensus within the BMW repair community as to the cause of these failures, many feel that the primary problem is that the return hose should be longer, and that engine movement (probably more severe in the on-track environment) exaberates the problem. Deteriorated engine and / or transmission mounts can allow increased engine movement, and some feel that high temperatures may be an extenuating factor.
    In preparing your E36 for a track event, it is imperative that you carefully check your engine and transmission mounts for deterioration, separation and for excessive motion of the engine and / or the transmission. This inspection is facilitated by the use of a long pry bar.

You should also seriously consider replacing the power steering return hose with a suitable piece of hose a few centimeters longer. BMW hose # 32411131524 (12 mm ID (inside diameter), cut to length) is known to work in this application. You will also need two hose clamps # 11151727509 (15-18mm). Some claim success with aftermarket high-temperature hose of 1/2 inch ID, but be advised that the BMW hose fits the nipple on the steering cooler more tightly than do some nominal 1/2 inch ID hoses. The ferrule is where the failure occurs.

Replacing the return hose is a straightforward operation. After the car has been secured on jack stands or a lift and allowed to cool, begin by cutting the return hose and allowing the contents of the system to drain into a pan.
    Note that the return hose is the SMALLER of the 2 hoses attached to the power steering fluid reservoir. Then, CAREFULLY slit and remove the ferrule/hose from the power steering cooler outlet. An abrasive wheel can be used, but a cutting pliers will suffice. Ensure that the hose nipple under the ferrule is not damaged by slitting operation. If it is damaged, you will need to procure a new cooler return hose assy.
    When the ferrule and hose have been removed from the cooler outlet, you should see the hose nipple.
    Continue by removing the other end of the return hose from the power steering fluid reservoir, then cut the new hose to the appropriate length and install to the cooler and reservoir with two hose clamps. You may find that your removed hose contains a restriction orifice located about 10 cm from the reservoir. You can remove this orifice and push it into your new hose, securing the orifice with a third hose clamp. Refill the system with Dexron ATF or other suitable fluid and bleed the system. Check for leaks and you should be done. Copyright 2011-New Yersey Chapter, BMWCCA,Inc.
    -----------------------------------
    Power Steering Hose 12 X 18 mm (Per Meter) 32411131524 list price $36.87
    hose clamp (actually for cooling system # 11151727509 (15-18mm) $1.30/piece

The best informaion I can offer is this... if your tranny didn't fail after it switched to aftermarket fluid and that fluid is still available, then don't worry.

Amsoil still approve their synthetic Multi ATF fluid for our 5HP30.

My tranny still has the Pennzoil Multi-ATF in the 5HP30 for over 30,000 miles and 10 years now... zero problem. Heck, if you put wrong fluid in that is not compatible, it probably will self destruct within a month. If it didn't, the fluid is compatible.

after discussing with other BMW drivers with the 5HP18 with green label here in Japan, they recommend to use local brand SUMICO ATF-α WIDE 3-D, that is available here for around $100/20 liters drum.
    【Car Maintenance Products】ATF|SUMICO LUBRICANT CO., LTD.

My one is green label 5HP18, parts number ZF 1056-000-104 , BMW 24002228631, serial number C538578 from ZF/Getrag

Default What is presently approved by ZF

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    If you own have a 5HP30 with the black label you will find it isnt supported any more as ZF have removed LA2634 from the 2013 approved list. A year ago they said you cant use their Lifeguard5 instead. Now they are saying it is 'best available'. This is subject of a discussion on a UK site. Anyone have better information?
    Interesting. I don't think the oil companies can list applications reliably, but ZF does. Do you have any link/s?

Looking at ZF's latest approved fluids (PDF), we can see this does not affect other 5HPxx, 3HPxx and 4HPxx transmissions*, which should all use:

For Lubricant class 11B
    ZF Friedrichshafen AG: List of lubricants TE-ML 11, edition 08.07.2013

Manufacturer, Trade name
    AMALIE PETROQUIMICA, MADRID/ES, ATF DEXRON III
    ARAL AG, BOCHUM/DE, ARAL GETRIEBEL ATF LD
    BP PLC., LONDON/GB, BP AUTRAN LTF
    CASTROL LTD, LONDON/GB, CASTROL TRANSMAX Z
    DEUTSCHE PENTOSIN WERKE GMBH, WEDEL/DE, PENTOSIN ATF 1
    ENI S.P.A., ROME/IT, AGIP DEXRON III
    EXXONMOBIL CORPORATION, FAIRFAX, VA/US, MOBIL ATF D 21065
    EXXONMOBIL CORPORATION, FAIRFAX, VA/US, MOBIL ATF LT 71141
    KUWAIT PETROLEUM INTERNATIONAL LUBRICANT, ANTWERP/NL, Q8 AUTO 15
    ZF FRIEDRICHSHAFEN AG, FRIEDRICHSHAFEN/DE, ZF-LIFEGUARDFLUID 5

* Except these:
    4HP20, must use class 11A fluids
    5HP18 with the green plate which must use ZF-LIFEGUARDFLUID 5 or PENTOSIN ATF or the BMW fluid ESSO LT 71141, BMW Part No. 83 22 9 407 807.

Strange. 5HP18 with the black place can use class 11B but not the green plate version? I guess they found some seals used in the green-plate trannies failing! (?)

Castrol's sites just quote:
    "Check transmission colour coded label for specific transmission lubricant recommendation. THMR1 transmission with Black or green sticker, use CASTROL TQ DEXRON III; 5HP-18 transmission with Black sticker, use CASTROL TQ DEXRON III; 5HP-18/24/30 with Green sticker, use CASTROL TRANSMAX Z; 5HP-30 with Black sticker, use Shell LA2634; GM4/5 transmissions with Green sticker, use ETL7045

BTW, I read somewhere that Pentosin, and Castrol Transmax Z were tested and approved by ZF to be extended drain fluids. They are also approved by Voith, and are standard issue on buses and trucks that generate tons of torque. Here in Oz I have always used this green fluid in 4HP22s and my Black labelled ZF 5HP18 as ZF had recommended it for them. It gives great results and is only about 30% more than dino fluids.

Castrol Transmax Z
    Full synthetic Dexron III type automatic transmission fluid with proven outstanding performance in high temperature and severe duty applications. Particularly suitable for competition use, towing or arduous use where high II or Dexron III are recommended. (TDS 1) (TDS 2)
    Last edited by genphreak; 08-06-2013 at 06:44 PM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

ATF-α WIDE 3-D from Sumico is working since about 2 months without any problem, smooth shifting.
    It looks to me the older lists of approved ATF are no longer valid, since more and more ATF makers produce wider range ATF fluid instead of all that specialized fluids like in former days. "Multi vehicle" or "import car ATF" is apparently the magic word these days.
    ATF-α WIDE 3-D can be used for various cars, so they are suitable as a unifying fluid or reserve fluid for regular maintenance, the Sumico website says.

Interesting info I found on their website with regards to Fluid deterioration
    Glossary】About ATF・CVTF|SUMICO LUBRICANT CO., LTD.

And talking about socalled lifetime filling once announced by car makers (not by the trans makers), Sumico states:
    It is recommended that fluid be changed before the symptoms below appear (every two years/within 20,000 km).

As we yesterday overhauled an ZF4HP24 valve body on a E34 550 = E34 equipped with the V12 M70 engine and found a lot of dirt in the valve body and the trans fluid looked like the color which Sumico calls
    Used in tough condition for a long time, or used for a long time without fluid being replaced
    we flushed the old fluid out of the system incl. TC and ATF cooler till new ATF came out from our self made flushing system, cleaned up the valve body, replaced the balls in the valve body, cleaned and tested the solenoids, and the owner of the car is very happy again, because before he claimed about hard shifting etc.

It is a good thing you are learning that aftermarket ATF equivalents are as good or better than original fluids. Look at me... already switched 12 years ago... my transmission is still alive! Pennzoil Multi Vehicle ATF... I don't think they sell this anymore. Very low mileage but I did put in at least 30,000 miles on it.

I have done it on Mercedes too and same thing... no problem for over 50,000 miles. Amsoil Signature Multi Vehicle ATF.

Now I use Amsoil Signature Multi Vehicle Synthetic ATF. That was the only thing available from Amsoil... and now they have OE version (cheaper) and Fuel Efficiency version.

Just an interim report: Now using the Sumico ATF fluid from a Japanese maker, ATF CVTF-α WIDE 3-D, works well for more than 6 months now.
    Last edited by shogun; 03-14-2014 at 07:23 PM.

update 2018/2019: the Japanese ATF works well, will make a regular ATF change in spring with same fluid. Drove less than 15k miles since 2014.
    In general now all the multi purpose (multi vehicle) aftermarket ATF available worldwide has also reduced the regular prices for ATF drastically, there is no longer a monopoly.
    For example on a German forum I read they use a lot Ravenol https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/u...-hp-fluid.html
    RAVENOL ATF 5/4 HP Fluid is ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) for all 4- and 5 stroke automatic transmissions of ZF. It guarantees in any mode for maximum wear protection. RAVENOL ATF 5/4 HP Fluid is neutral brown colored. Application Notes: RAVENOL ATF 5/4 HP Fluid is suitable for use in automatic transmission of ZF Serie 4 HP (4HP20, 4HP22, 4HP24) und 5HP (5HP18, 5HP19, 5HP24, 5HP30). Maintenance-filling under normal operating conditions. Practice and tested in aggregates
    Alfa Romeo 20HP 14891900, ATF LT 71141, ATF LA 2634, BMW 8322 9407765, BMW 8322 9407807, Citron/Peugeot AL4 PR 9736.22, Jaguar JLM 20237, Land Rover STC4863, Mercedes A 0019892203, Porsche 999.917.547.00, Renault DP0, VW/Audi G052162 A1/ A2/ A6, VW TL 52 162, ZF S671 090 170

I've been using the Japanese MV ATF too, >5 years in 5HP30 and 5HP24. No troubles, and always smoother to shift than the older fluid.

It is worth noting that ZF re-branded their ATFs in 2013

Lifeguard 5 (all 4 and 5 speeds ok for synthetic), meets LT71141, 7045E and 8072B specifications.
    Lifeguard 6 (all 6 speeds) meets Shell M-1375.4
    Lifeguard 8 (all 8 speeds)
    Not sure about 10 speeders...

Here is the latest ZF advice:
    https://www.zf.com/global/media/en_zf/lubricantslists/TE-ML_11.pdf

Notice that for a long time now LT71141 is a referred to as a replacement for LA2634 (often referred to as #8322 9407807), so if using third party fluids you can use one that mentions conformity with either specification. However ZF goes to great pains to stress that different fluids should not be mixed, so given that a full-pan fluid change only replaces around 1/3 of the fluid in the trans, is it best to source LA2634 if you have a trans that contains it? I have been doing just this, and have had no ill-effects.
    Last edited by genphreak; 12-27-2018 at 08:48 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12