GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To use or not to use Drei bond (3 bond)

Default To use or not to use Drei bond (3 bond)

Will be replacing the valve cover gasket on my sister in laws 2000 e39 528i. The Bentley manual and my ondemand5.com repair sources say to use Drei Bond but when I call the local Bimmer robber they said they never use it on OEM valve cover gasket. Any suggestions?

Called the local Bimmer robbers and he spoke to a mechanic. Mechanic says that Drei bond is no longer available but he uses a product call Hylomar. Found that Permatex makes a Hylomar Blue. Permatex #85249

This looks like the stuff.
    Permatex® Hylomar® Universal Blue Racing Formula Gasket Dressing & Flange Sealant

Adopted worldwide by many automotive manufacturers and countless race teams for sealing gas and diesel engines and transmissions.

This non-chlorinated gasketing and sealing compound has been specially formulated to be non-setting and non-hardening at elevated temperatures. It withstands rapid changes in temperature and remains flexible and tacky even at high temperatures, allowing repeated disassembly and reassembly in high performance applications. This no-run formula seals surface imperfections on machined flanges and is vibration resistant. Temperature range of -60°F to +500°F (-50°C to +260°C); resists engine fluids, including water, coolant, gasoline, lubricating oils, kerosene and some refrigerants. Also possesses dust and moisture proofing properties.

I use this stuff on my gaskets.

I use hylomar but not on e39 528 valve cover gaskets. On them i only use a small amount of black or grey import silicone gasket maker from permatex. Black has higher oil resistance supposedly. I use it only on the area where the vanos bolts on and where the cam bore half moons are on the back . Hylomar is sometimes sold at harborfreight but its not the same as the hylomar you buy at the racetrack. The genuine rolls royce sealing hylomar has a different consistency than the harbor freight chinese hylomar. Autozone used to carry the permatex /loctite hylomar but they quit for some reason.

I used this permatex one with copper in it: Permatex® Ultra Copper® Maximum Temperature RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

you use drei bond? Where did you get it? Here in the US they say it is no longer available

I have this one out in the workshop now

This stuff "Permatex® Hylomar® Universal Blue Racing Formula Gasket Dressing & Flange Sealant" is available at Oreillys

Sorry I meant the Hylomar. This is what I use. http://www.hylomar-usa.com/_resource..._Aero_Data.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Kibokojoe View Post
    you use drei bond? Where did you get it? Here in the US they say it is no longer available

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast