GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Treperformance fuel pump sitting too high in the tank

Default Treperformance fuel pump sitting too high in the tank

I had replaced the Bosch fuel pump lately and figured out that the fuel intake of the pump/strainer were sitting 1/2" higher than the Bosch pump. There was nothing I could really do to put the Treperformance pump lower. In the process I had to cut out the bottom plastic part of the Bosch bracket in order to accommodate the bigger and centered fuel intake. However the strainer finally ended up being about 1/2" higher than the original fuel intake.
    This means that I am running out of fuel earlier...not that there is no more fuel in the tank... but I can't suck it out with the higher pump.
    As my wife is driving the 525it most of the time ...what shall I tell her: how much earlier should she find a gas station?
    What do you think? Martin

Can you install the original strainer on this new pump?

Hi Tiger

No, the intake for the treperformance is much bigger...double the size, no way to adjust this.
    The question is how many miles make 1/2" of fuel level? Ah this is math.

Call up the place you bought it for help... they might have sent you the wrong one.

here it fits in a 540, see many pics of the installation and compare your own installation as well as the pump
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1245212

Fits perfectly in my car and even sits lower than the original!

Once installed you can move it up and down, tight but doable.. You mustīve gotten the wrong one!
    Last edited by Bo525i; 09-25-2010 at 10:23 AM.

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    here it fits in a 540, see many pics of the installation and compare your own installation as well as the pump
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1245212
    Hi Shogun
    The Treperformance pump looks similar. However the Bosch pump is slightly different on the lower fuel intake side. Here I had a plastic sleeve with a stop at the bottom and a small asymmetrical hole where the Bosch pump intake was sticking through. I had to cut out the bottom of this sleeve in order to get the bigger (and centered) Treperformance intake through......but the intake tube is just shorter on the Treperformance pump and therefore doesn't reach as low as the Bosch. This is the only problem I see and the reason of my question what difference this makes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo525i View Post
    Fits perfectly in my car and even sits lower than the original!

Once installed you can move it up and down, tight but doable.. You mustīve gotten the wrong one!
    I think my bosch plastic sleeve is just slighty different than others. My sleeve has a bottom and this means a stop. there is really only one position I can put the pump....unless I really cut open the plastic bottom and then I could slide it lower..but how did you set the hight? How did you fix the height? Is the pump just held in the rubber sleeve that came with the pump? Martin

Yes, its just held by the rubber sleeve and I could move the pump up and down inside that rubber after it had been sitting in the tank soaking in gasoline!
    Actually I reopened the tank and pushed it down a bit thinking that it was better recheck the position after a couple of days, thatīs how I found out..

Mineīs exactly like the one in Shoguns link!
    Last edited by Bo525i; 09-26-2010 at 04:22 AM.

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo525i View Post
    Yes, its just held by the rubber sleeve and I could move the pump up and down inside that rubber after it had been sitting in the tank soaking in gasoline!
    Actually I reopened the tank and pushed it down a bit thinking that it was better recheck the position after a couple of days, thatīs how I found out..

Mineīs exactly like the one in Shoguns link!
    Maybe I'll take out the pump once again and cut the bottom (plastic bracket) open completely sliding the pump down as far as possible? Martin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast