GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: A leaf blower and a bottle of soapy water

Default A leaf blower and a bottle of soapy water

Found this little trick the other day and decided to try it out. My sons 7 had developed an exhaust leak that I could not find. So I jacked the car up on all four corners and duct taped the leaf blower to one of the exhaust pipes and blocked the other with duct tape. Turned on the leaf blower and using soapy water in a spray bottle started spraying all of the joints, pipes etc. Low and behold I found that one of the muffler gaskets had failed. Big bubbles started developing around the leak. Changed out the gasket and leak is now repaired. Wonder if this would reveal a leak in a head gasket?

Was so surprised with the results I tried it on my 95 Honda Accord that for years I knew had a leak but could not find it. Well finally found it. It was a leak on the exhaust manifold. PO had snapped off a manifold nut and there was nothing applying pressure on this end of the exhaust manifold. It was hidden by the heat shield. Still waiting to get the parts for this repair.

When you make up you soapy water use liquid dish soap and don't be shy about the amount. The more you use the bigger the bubbles

Congrats on your resourcefulness and a successful outcome through unconventional means
    I have done some pretty silly things in efforts to diagnose a car problem.
    This takes the cake for absurdity with regard to what a casual observer might think.
    If any of your neighbors witnessed this you have certainly been checked of as a whacko.

Hey Bob, did you see our neighbor Joe taping the leaf blower on his muffler yesterday?
    Yeah, he always struck me as a bit strange.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

I just run the car, stuff a rag in the tail pipe and use shaving cream... car smells clean and fresh for days

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

very cool!
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

I love Bimmers they already think I am Wacko . My neighbor just put up a 8 foot privacy fence so he doesn't have to watch me. Funny thing is he has had a garage in the same area for the past 16 years. Never bothered me that he was wrenching.

Tried running the car with a rag in the exhaust but it gets hot quick and still could not find the leak. I have to say I never tried the shaving cream though

Quote Originally Posted by Kibokojoe View Post
    I love Bimmers they already think I am Wacko . My neighbor just put up a 8 foot privacy fence so he doesn't have to watch me. Funny thing is he has had a garage in the same area for the past 16 years. Never bothered me that he was wrenching.
    I think its the speedo you were wearing while wrenching that did it

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........