GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: A/c compressor oil

Default A/c compressor oil

In the process of obtaining a new NipponDenso compressor and receiver/dryer for the GQ. Going through my shopping list, I was looking around for the required amount of a/c system lubricant. Cannot find anything definitive but it appears that I need 6 to 7 ounces of PAG46 for the system. Can anyone verify this for me please?

Thanks guys...
    "Uncle" Phil C
    2011 Kia Optima EX-P.
    Former owner of a 95 525i 5spd. "The GQ" aka A Shark in sheeps clothing
    03 R1150RT 6spd. "DaRTth"
    00 R1100R 5spd. "LeRoy"

Just done it on the 92 525 also a Denso. 6 oz in the compressor and 1 oz in the new dryer. Turn the compressor vanes by hand to help the oil into the compressor.
    glen-sj
    1995 530IA USA
    Production 6/95

Default A/c compressor R&R

Glen,

Thanks for the reply. BTW - Did you flush your system out or just replace the compressor and dryer? Mine is working well but rattling (not the clutch, the compressor) and I really don't want to get into the whole expansion valve replacement as it appears to be a real PITA job. The compressor and receiver/dryer look pretty easy but it looks like you have to dissemble the dash to get to the valve.

Would appreciate any tips or insight you have on the project.

Quote Originally Posted by glen-sj View Post
    Just done it on the 92 525 also a Denso. 6 oz in the compressor and 1 oz in the new dryer. Turn the compressor vanes by hand to help the oil into the compressor.
    Thank you
    "Uncle" Phil C
    2011 Kia Optima EX-P.
    00 R1100R 5spd. "LeRoy"

I did not flush the system. Just replaced the compressor and dryer as the oil came out of the old compressor clean.

The job is pretty straight forward. Just make sure you put the correct a/c oil, need to be compatiable with R134. Drain any oil from the new compressor, then put in about 6 oz. of new a/c oil, manually turn the compressor to distribute the oil within the new compressor and put about 1 oz. in the new dryer. Always replace all o-rings with new. Bolt everything back on and torque it to spec.

Then hook up a vacuum pump and A/C gauge manifold and draw a vacuum down to around -23 to -25 psi. Hold it for at least 45 minutes making sure the vacuum is steady. Then you're sure no leak in system. Then put in 4 cans(I used 12oz cans) of R134. Put a thermonitor in the center dash vent, the temperature should read around 54 deg F depending on the ambient temp. Then enjoy the AC.
    glen-sj
    1995 530IA USA
    Production 6/95

Default Thank you!

Hi Glenn,
    Thank you......I just hope my oil comes out clean!!
    Did your compressor go TU or did you do an R&R because of rattling or another mechanical issue?
    Thanks again mate

Quote Originally Posted by glen-sj View Post
    I did not flush the system. Just replaced the compressor and dryer as the oil came out of the old compressor clean.

The job is pretty straight forward. Just make sure you put the correct a/c oil, need to be compatiable with R134. Drain any oil from the new compressor, then put in about 6 oz. of new a/c oil, manually turn the compressor to distribute the oil within the new compressor and put about 1 oz. in the new dryer. Always replace all o-rings with new. Bolt everything back on and torque it to spec.

Then hook up a vacuum pump and A/C gauge manifold and draw a vacuum down to around -23 to -25 psi. Hold it for at least 45 minutes making sure the vacuum is steady. Then you're sure no leak in system. Then put in 4 cans(I used 12oz cans) of R134. Put a thermonitor in the center dash vent, the temperature should read around 54 deg F depending on the ambient temp. Then enjoy the AC.
    "Uncle" Phil C
    2011 Kia Optima EX-P.
    00 R1100R 5spd. "LeRoy"

It was rattling with a high sheiking noice. The clutch was freezing up.
    glen-sj
    1995 530IA USA
    Production 6/95