GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting oil in the Intake

Default Getting oil in the Intake

My E34, with M20 motor, is passing oil into the intake and getting as far a the the air box. This current motor has about 180k on it. The car runs fine during the warmer months in NC, except for an occasional bucking in the morning when I have the a/c running. Winter time presents a totally different cenario. Hard starts, that's if it starts. with ether starting fluid. I don't think that I have a bad piston ring. The car seems to run too good for that type of situation to exist. If anyone has any ideas about my problem. I would certainly appreciate some assistance. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by tintrx; 08-19-2010 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tintrx View Post
    My E34, with M20 motor, is passing oil into the intake and getting as far a the the air box. This current motor has about 180k on it. The car runs fine during the warmer months in NC, except for an occasional bucking in the morning when I have the a/c running. Winter time presents a totally different cenario. Hard starts, that's if it starts. with ether starting fluid. I don't think that I have a bad piston ring. The car seems to run too good for that type of situation to exist. If anyone has any ideas about my problem. I would certainly appreciate some assistance. Thanks in advance
    I'm not sure but I think it is normal to get a bit of sludge in the intake, it's normal for me anyway. May be an electrical issue if it is temp dependent ESP if the ac makes it worse.

Typically oil in the airbox is the symptom of a tired engine with lots of blowby or a faulty crankcase ventilation system.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Check PCV valve and clean if required.

Default Where is the PCV?

Quote Originally Posted by Grantus View Post
    Check PCV valve and clean if required.
    Where is the pcv located, or is it the vacuum switch located under the throttle body?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Typically oil in the airbox is the symptom of a tired engine with lots of blowby or a faulty crankcase ventilation system.
    +1
    IMHO a bit of oil in the throttle body is Ok. If its swamping the air cleaner box then its more serious

Quote Originally Posted by tintrx View Post
    Where is the pcv located, or is it the vacuum switch located under the throttle body?
    There isn't one....

Check your valve cover, pan gasket, and oil return tube.

If you have a massive vacuum leak through the crankcase then it will carry oil up into the intake, and it will flow down to the air box

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

+1. That is the good oil on oil spewing into bad places... sometimes twiddling the oil return tube can re-seat a leaking o-ring. Any venting/leaking of the crankcase to the atmosphere can encourage blo-by, so check all your vacuum lines & connections too.
    Last edited by genphreak; 08-22-2010 at 09:45 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

I'll Check that oil return tube for leaks. That sounds like that might be the culprit. I'll get back 2 you and let you know what I find out. Thanks a bunch.

Well it looks like I'm still hunting. I've changed the throttle body 2 valve cover hose it did have a crack in it which was causing a oil/vaccuum leak, but I'm still trying to find what's causing this eradict stumbling when the ac is on. any thoughts anyone?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast