GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What keeps Bilstein cartridges from moving around

Default What keeps Bilstein cartridges from moving around

What keeps the bottom of the Bilstein strut cartridges from moving around in the bottom of the strut canister? I understand the strut collar nut keeps the top from moving side to side but what keeps the bottom of the cartridge from moving side to side. I have long suspected that the strut cartridges was moving around in the strut canister. Tonight I removed the canisters and re-bolted them back on the wheels off the vehicle. Using the wheel as a support I pulled up and down on the strut and low and behold there was movement. If I try to move just the canister there is no movement. Only when I try to move the cartridge. This was done with the strut bearing and spring removed. If you slide the cartridge down into the canister there is free play at the end of the cartridge. Should there be some sort of ring or a indentation at the bottom of the canister to keep it in place? I have clean the dirty threads on the canister and can now spin the strut collar nut on freely all the way until it hits the canister. I have notice that the seal on the strut collar nut has failed and I will need to get another set. These are only a few years old and they have already failed.

it's like a pussy..... when you are not all the way in...you can still rattle around

But get in all the way and you bottom out and it's all nice and tight

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Thought I had heard everything

I installed Bilstein on my car too. The mechanic who assisted me said it is so loose... I said it is the right one. Like you found out... once the nut is on... it is tight. The movement on the other end is controlled by the strut mount. Since the strut only moves up and upwn... not side to side... there is no need to support the side like the standard Boge.

Having side to side movement is still not really possible in strut... it moves the entire unit to a different angle and yet the strut cartridge is still only up and down.

Called Bilstein in California today. They are sending out replacement seals and the wrench for tightening down the collar nuts. Found out that there was some play in both struts. Seems there was some dirt on the threads. I have cleaned the threads multiple times now and the collar nuts spin all the way down by hand until the seat on the top of the strut housing. Parts should be here by Wednesday. Drive-shaft the following Friday. Wish it was hear sooner I have several other automotive projects I need to get done.

With Billies you need to reef the collar nut like 3X the amount normally needed to secure them. I am sure you also added oil to the housing as this helps stabilize movement/rattles and temperature. I still like my Boges after like 4 years and only 1 failure :-)
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

The guy at Bilstein said do not add any oil it will cause the strut to hydraulically seize. Also said the torque was 94 fl/lbs

Exactly NO oil... alot of people would skip this step.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibokojoe View Post
    hydraulically seize
    What is that?

The oil is usually just for cooling

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

I guess the bilstein struts have holes in the bottom and can draw the oil up into the strut and this causes a seize

Nope, no holes down there, it is a press fit with "O" ring so nothing should "lock" up in there or suck dirty air/oil from the bottom of the cartridge.
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 08-22-2010 at 07:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast