GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: BMW Oil Filter Head Leak

Default BMW Oil Filter Head Leak

A repair kit is available that eliminates oil leaks coming from the control valve cover area of the oil filter housing on all M20 (B25 with engine oil cooler) and S14 (M-Power) engines.

An O-ring with improved material quality (Viton) has been developed by BMW. The new repair kit (consisting of 1 Viton O-ring, 1 cover and 1 snap ring) must be installed whenever an oil leak is detected coming from the control valve cover of the oil filter housing (see illustration). This repair kit will eliminate the need to replace the complete oil filter housing and can be installed without removing the oil filter housing from the engine.

Repair Procedure:

• Clean oil filter head cover area;

• Clamp the control valve cover using a 4-inch "C" clamp and lift snap ring out of its seat using a small bladed screwdriver or similar tool;

• Carefully remove the control valve with the O-ring. Catch escaping engine oil. Caution: The cover spring is loaded;

• Replace the O-ring, cover and snap ring included in the repair kit. Note: On S14 engines (M3 vehicles), only the O-ring and snap ring should be replaced since the control valve cover differs in design from the M20 engines.

• Run the engine to operating temperature (80° C oil temperature) and check control valve cover area for leaks; and

• Check engine oil level and top off if necessary.

The repair kit can be ordered under BMW part number 11 42 9 059 338.

Some or all of this information was provided by the Automotive Parts Remanufacturers Association (APRA). For more information on technical bulletins available through APRA call 703-968-2772 or visit www.AutoBulletins.com.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti...head_leak.aspx

I just want to share my experience with my 1995 525it, M50: I had 2 plugs with old brittle o-rings leaking oil- lots of oil. I bought new o-rings at the dealer and tried to change these o-rings at the plug which is secured with snap rings. I had to remove the oil filter housing in order to get to the plugs which is causing a pain in the neck.
    I failed. Oil was leaking out again.
    The I opend it up again and run a calculation by Trelleborg (the o-ring manufacturer)and found that the o-ring BMW sold me was not big enough to hold the pressure. I think they sold me a 22x 2.5 and Trelleborg said 22x 3.0.
    So I installed 22x 3.0 o-rings and did a pressure test with compressed air before again reinstalling the oil filter housing and all is fine since then.
    If someone has this problem please contact me.
    I also have another perfect oil filter housing with screwed plugs for the M50 if someone needs it.

I had to do this repair on my daughter's e30 325is right after we bought it. The 1st time with just a new o-ring. Unbeknownst to me, it burped the o-ring internally during re-assembly & had to park it for a week waiting for the new "kit" to come in. The original cap did not positively trap the o-ring. The inner snout of the cap that comes with the new "kit" is slightly longer and assures the o-ring can't go anywhere. The original snap ring was a pain to remove but the c-clamp trick works well. I didn't have to remove the housing from the block.
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

I'm now working on an '88 325 convert (M20) that shows a seep in the filter housing area, but thought it might be 0 rings on the fittings to the oil cooler hoses - perhaps it's this deal - any comment about leaks at the hose connections? Is the relief valve suspect #1? If I'm going to be messing with it, I probably should do both, right?

Quote Originally Posted by mikell View Post
    I'm now working on an '88 325 convert (M20) that shows a seep in the filter housing area, but thought it might be 0 rings on the fittings to the oil cooler hoses - perhaps it's this deal - any comment about leaks at the hose connections? Is the relief valve suspect #1? If I'm going to be messing with it, I probably should do both, right?
    Ours started leaking there also, about a week after finally sealing the cap o-ring. The oil cooler fittings loosened after nudging the bumper/cooler against a parking lot curb. Tightening the collar nuts fixed it but I should check it again one of these days and put new o-rings in them for peace of mind.
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!