GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Wondering what I should do about selling my car when I decide to do so...

Default Wondering what I should do about selling my car when I decide to do so...

Don't worry guys, I'd be saving an E34 540i 6-speed from death if I was to sell my car, so I'm not abandoning you.

*1989 525i M20
    *lachsilber metallic
    *204,000 miles
    *Automatic
    *most body panels are great, but the paint is a bit white-ish from the sun, but it's beneath the paint. (I'm a detailer, it's just clearcoat damage where the color coat touches the clear, under where I can polish) It's hard to notice unless you're there, but none of it is peeling.
    *No rust
    *One large dent in drivers side fender, but I have all the replacement parts for it already, including the fender, even though the color is a darker grey. I have the corner lights (both, I bought smoked ones.) the headlight assembly, etc. Everything that must be replaced.
    *Engine runs great, lots of receipts. It's definitely still a reliable driver.

Now, for the fun stuff...
    *Hella smoked tails.
    *M5 Filler plate
    *17" Style 5s in decent, undented condition, very minimal nicks in some clearcoat along some edges. (previous owner)
    *235s all around. Great, soft tires. (I forget the name, but they're highly recommended by the auto-x guys) *I'll update this after I look outside*
    *Sachs sport kit
    *Full M5 control arm kit, Polyurethane bushings. It handles like a dream, to say it lightly.

So, I'm curious what I should do. I can't really part it out, because I have nowhere to put it. I'd like to sell it to somebody who CAN part it out, because if I sell it to somebody clueless, they won't pay enough for it and won't ever make use of the great parts.
    Last edited by CharlesAFerg; 07-31-2010 at 04:40 PM.
    EuroLux:. Private Detail
    E34 1/'89 ///M20 2.5i: Lachsilber

In that case, you ought to stick to BMW enthusiast sites to try and sell it at first. Then again, you never know who would gawk at the idea of getting one for not too much dough.

It's at least worth selling the style 5s separate ($1000+ when in top shape). They sell pretty quick in the forums. Unless you want to keep them for your 540. In which case you would have to buy the 540 before selling the 525, or find some cheap 15 inch wheels and tires.

Ever thought of an engine swap? I know I'd love to do that. You spent a lot of time, like me, putting your car up to some good looks, and healthy engine, getting it some awesome wheels, etc. There's no telling what the 540 you want will be like. I'm guessing you'd pretty much be starting from scratch with all the upgrades and cosmetic stuff you'd done to your current e34. I drooled looking over an e36 with an S54 (2005 M3 engine) for sale... guy opened to the engine swap. Then tears came to my eyes as I considered the state of my wallet .

If you're lucky though, you'll find someone who took great care of his 540.

In the end, you will have to decide. There's still no way of telling the future and what opportunity will come your way. HTH

As a detailer you must be aware that looks sell. Assuming you have it looking it's best other than the dent why not try smoothing the dent some?
    The fenders are easily removed and a soft dent can often be pushed back out to near the original contour just by hand. I got lucky "fixing" a fender that had been crushed on the bottom by a curb. You need to know when to stop as trying to make it perfect can result in lots of little damages looking worse than what you started with. As long as you don't cause additional angles to reflect light it'll be an improvement.
    Minor damage on a matching fender is preferrable to a straight mismatched one in my book, especially if accompanied by a straight spare.
    Parting an M20/autobox car will net you little as nothing in the powertrain is particularly desireable, esp. over 200k, you'll need to practically give away body panels to offset freight unless you have a local buyer and it takes a LONG time to peddle all the little stuff.
    Sell off the wheels and any "goodies" seperately if you get a good offer. The basic car is worth around a grand from what I visualize. A friend just purchased a '90 525ia, 115kish, nice inside, very little rot and needing a water pump for a grand. I recently sold a good running '90 , no rust, mostly straight (see above story), so-so interior 525/5spd. for $1200.
    Good luck
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Since finding a fender in that color probably won't be easy around here (I never see silver E34's in the Seattle area) I'd just swap some basketweaves on there and sell the style 5's then sell the car as is.

Filler plate probably could get you a couple of $ if it's easy to take off & leave the car intact (haven't installed or removed one of those yet so I don't know). If you've still got the factory tails to swap out for the Hella's that'd probably be worth your time. Otherwise I think it'd be best just to sell the 5's & sell the car as is. Honestly see the 5's as being worth the most amount of $ out of all of that. The suspension stuff isn't worth anything used. Especially if it's that Meyle HD M5 kit that's on eBay constantly for next to nothing.

Do enjoy the 540/6 when you get one. Having had extensive experience with both a '93 M5 and my current M-Sport I do believe the 540/6 or M-Sport's to be the best E34's for everyday use. Much, much better in city use than an M5 is.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

I've still got a ways to save, but I'm really glad that I could get this info from you guys.

I'll keep you informed.

The filler plate, by the way, was mounted with double-sided outdoor foam tape, while also slightly retained by the license plate frame. Easy to remote all of that and the residue.

I'll probably try to sell it as is for a bit more $ to feel the market, otherwise I'll just part the major stuff and sell it.
    EuroLux:. Private Detail
    E34 1/'89 ///M20 2.5i: Lachsilber