GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staked u-joint on a manual tranny

Default Staked u-joint on a manual tranny

I need to replace the u-joint on my 89 535i driveshaft. I see at a number of web sites that they offer a replacement the staked in u-joints. Model number 430-11. Problem is I am getting two different interior yoke dimensions. I wonder if these replacement bearing are for automatic driveshafts and not the manual transmission driveshafts. Any one out there ever used one of these replacement u-joints on a 535i?

Quote Originally Posted by Kibokojoe View Post
    I need to replace the u-joint on my 89 535i driveshaft. I see at a number of web sites that they offer a replacement the staked in u-joints. Model number 430-11. Problem is I am getting two different interior yoke dimensions. I wonder if these replacement bearing are for automatic driveshafts and not the manual transmission driveshafts. Any one out there ever used one of these replacement u-joints on a 535i?
    What are those websites? What are the dimensions? Are they dramatically different? There may be a deal of misrepresentation due to variations in thinking and designs of different manufacturers - GMB has the concave cups that mean to compress acting as springs once ujoint is installed. This actually is a measure against high frequency vibration - the cups act as springs "suspending" the shaft. The installed ujoint contracts in overall diameter, because the concavity contracts, taking a few thousands off the free diameter. Meyle which was used in my case, has flat cup bottoms - different idea...

I do not see why suddenly the ujoints have to be different between manual and automatic applications for cars of same era... It would simply not make sense to invest money and effort at designing a different system with a ujoint being a hair smaller in diameter... You're most likely worried too much. But let's see some details of which I asked above, perhaps I am wrong.

deleted air conditioning

Please see GMB.net if you haven't. In "catalog" we find "passenger cars". See this catalog on page 4. This page tells s that "ALL" 535 between 1997 and 1985 (along with many other BMWs) use same part number 220-1670. Engineering design takes into account as much as possible existing designs of parts in order to make sure that the design cost and manufacturing costs are down, that's why we see the same part applicable in such broad range. This is how it's been, is, and will be in all engineering.

Please tell me the details which I asked about in the previous post.

deleted air conditioning

I remember now. I measured the Meyle ujoint prior to installation and did find it to be a little bigger in diameter. I measured a few times using a vernier convincing myself that this was approximately 2.49 in diameter. I said to myself then "I will use the retaining C rings instead of the G clips that come with the ujoint since they are a touch narrower." This is the reason they are seen on the picture in my other post. The cut channel was wide enough to take the G clips and this would work well with the GMB 2.441 diameter. Use the GMB if you find that you need the smaller size. I have this ujoint and can probably confirm with measurements taking pictures if you need them.

deleted air conditioning

My over all dimension are 2.380 + or - .002. Surface is uneven on the inside of the yoke so can't use a conventional "staked" u-joint replacement setup. Take a look at the drawing

well, what about the maximum diameter of the yoke? I did not cut the crowns the the cups. 2.380 actually seems familiar i think I saw it either at NAPA with precision ujoints or GMB again for alfa romeo.

deleted air conditioning

why do you wish to cut the crown? to allow security in having more material?

deleted air conditioning

i answered in "driveshaft rebuild" for you too, hope you dont miss it

deleted air conditioning

i did not mean for the ring to be used on the inside where the surface is uneven, precisely because of this. the ring is outside, with the trences cut making sure that the crowns of the cups are actually remaining. the drawing seems to imply that you want to cut the crowns making the needed diameter even smaller 2.441 from GMB with G clips should be nice, considering I used 2.49 from Meyle...

deleted air conditioning

Found a source for a u-joint with internal c rings. He says he has sold hundreds of them and has never had a complaint. I have order one and am awaiting its arrival. Also order the guibo and driveshaft cup. guibo won't be here until the 9th

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast