GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Body roll?

Default Body roll?

Recently I replaced many suspension parts including upper control arm (thrust arm) with 750 bushings, front sway bar links, tie rods, rear pitman arms, and rear sway bar links. But after the replacment, I noticed I have noticeable body roll... Before replacing suspension parts, my car felt very planted to the road with minimum body roll. What part of the suspension would create more body roll? Everything was tighten to correct torque spec.
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

Normally worn out sway bar links and such cause more body roll as there is more play in those parts thus letting the body roll more then it should. Most of the time getting thicker sway bars reduce body roll.

i would say shocks first, springs second

The only thing you've replaced that can affect that markedly is the pitman arms and the front bushes. Even when worn, the swaybarlinks don't have enojugh play to do more than rattle and twank. Check your tyre pressures first

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

My shocks and springs are good (running Eibachs + Koni Sports adjustables). Weird thing is that it was much better before replacing these new suspension parts. Can the bushings on the new suspension parts be softer???
    RICK

Did you do alignment yet?

What kind of Tires are you running?

I recently replaced Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's with Toyo Proxes 4 and notice unpleasant body flexing during fast cornering. For instance if you're just driving straight on a highway and turn the steering wheel back and forth you can easily get the body to flex.

The suspesion parts are all OK so I was looking at the Tires. The PS2's didn't so this. The turning was crisp and precise. I was guessing these Toyos being an "all season" tire were harder than the Michelins so they transfer the forces up to the bopdy where the Michelins gave more and the forces went out the tires which may be why they wear out so fast. Well less than 20,000 miles and I was seeing thread.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Yes, did the alignment after all new suspension parts replaced.

It can't be the tires. They are the same tires as before (Yokohama S-Drive 235/45/17 fronts & 255/40/17 rears). And I checked tire pressure and they are good. I noticed the body roll only after replacing those suspension parts so it must be related to those parts. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't drive like a Buick or anything and still handles well but not like before.
    RICK

Recheck all your sway bar links... After I did mine, everything was super tight.

Inspect the thrust arm bushings. If not Lemforder, they could already be bad. I refuse to use them and put up with the noise of poly ones as the fitment can't go wrong and the cheap arms all have weak bushings. Only other thing I think can do this would be your rear subframe mounts; maybe they chose to break at this most 'opportune' time. Hoping you find it quick...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast