GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Aux Cooling Fan troubleshoot?

Default Aux Cooling Fan troubleshoot?

I was greeted the other day by myaproximately One year old Made in Germany Aux Cooling Fan suddenly going at High RPM the moment I turned the Key to Position #2 when about to start the car. The air temp at the time wasn't even 90 F.

I removed the radiator sensor plug to jumper and see what was up. I got High but no low rpm.. when I jumper the Low wire I hear the Relay clicking but the Fan doesn't spin. Is the Resistor failed? I actualy went and bought a brand new relay from BMW but may not have needed it. The wires in the relay box leading to the low speed relay all appear intact but I haven't used a volt meter or ohm meter to check anything . oh and the two fuses are OK. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Jehu; 07-28-2010 at 08:38 PM.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    I was greeted the other day by myaproximately One year old Made in Germany Aux Cooling Fan suddenly going at High RPM the moment I turned the Key to Position #2 when about to start the car. The air temp at the time wasn't even 90 F.

I removed the radiator sensor plug to jumper and see what was up. I got High but no low rpm.. when I jumper the Low wire I hear the Relay clicking but the Fan doesn't spin. Is the Resistor failed? I actualy went and bought a brand new relay from BMW but may not have needed it. The wires in the relay box leading to the low speed relay all appear intact but I haven't used a volt meter or ohm meter to check anything . oh and the two fuses are OK. Any ideas?
    Yeah, it's possible! Check the Resistor and the low speed supply.

Got a meter?

check to see if the resistor is fried... Had the same thing a while back and it made me for a day trying to figure it out

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Thanks gents. I can get a meter and may be just source a replacement resistor and splice it in and see anyway.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    Thanks gents. I can get a meter and may be just source a replacement resistor and splice it in and see anyway.
    had a similar problem too 2 weeks ago turned out to be the socket of the aux fan was not making contact so i cleaned it. Was brittle too and whenever the fan turns high mode socket becomes abnormally hot so im looking for a replacement socket.
    Last edited by bmwrp8; 08-06-2010 at 01:09 PM.

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl