GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OT - Toyota 4Runner - A/T Torque Converter lockup - doesn't release?

Default OT - Toyota 4Runner - A/T Torque Converter lockup - doesn't release?

Bimmer gang... I posted this ona 4runner forum, but got nothing constructive in resonse... can you all offer insight ?

Hi, had my T4R (toyota 4Runner) 7 years, 166K miles, 2WD but tows my Hobie Cats on the beaches no problem, great traveler, love the truck. ( 2000, V6, Auto, Limited )

But lately having early signs of tranny issues.
    - shudders occasionally upon stopping (not disks or pads) and nearly stalls out for a second
    - when torque converter is locked up, over 50mph, when you take your foot off the gas to coast, it doesn't really coast.... not like its going into neutral and you SLOWLY slow down... it's like you're still in gear and you slow down quickly (from being in gear... like with a stick shift)..... ALSO, while slowing down like this, you hear an airplane like whine....

1. What is it?
    2. How long can I drive it this way?

No other symptoms, drives great, already changed the pan filter, fluid several times, right amount of fluid, and even installed an external cooler to prevent the strawberry milkshake bomb.... (where tranny and rad fluid mix in the rad)... and YES, I've changed the fluid about every 50K, and the filter once before...)

Help and thanks...
    - Rob.
    1993 / 525ia / M50TU / EAT / Sachs / Infiniti Kappa & Basslink / super clean / Style 5s wearing Pilots / Mobil 1 everywhere / long road ahead

Know nothing about Toyotas and less about their autos. But I found a great write up about TCs from them some time ago. Maybe have a look at the lock up clutch set up? :
    http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/AT02.pdf

I've had similar experience on a toyota forum.
    seems certain the TC is reluctant to disengage though and shuddering to a stop isn't doing anything much good.
    I'd rather get the bad news now than risk bigger damage with continued use. You may just have a sticky solenoid or an electrical fault. Fingers crossed for you.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

+1 to sticky TC lockup solenoid.

Default ok cool...

...I'll research a TC lockup solenoid... seems like I could replace that w/o pulling the pan... just a solinoid in the bottom of the valve body, after pulling the pan and filter... ??
    1993 / 525ia / M50TU / EAT / Sachs / Infiniti Kappa & Basslink / super clean / Style 5s wearing Pilots / Mobil 1 everywhere / long road ahead

Yeah should be able to see it from just pulling the pan and filter off. Its a part of the valve body.

Some more stuff about ECT (EGS) including the solenoid valves from Toyota:
    http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h16.pdf
    Shame the same information isnt as concise or readily available from BMW

Default Update

Well... after a through fluid flush, filter screen replace... and installing an external tranny cooler....

The lockup "release" seems to be fixed, but I started getting noises and vibrations from down below...

Turns out BOTH u-joints on the drive shaft (only 2WD) were shot.

$225 total (labor and parts) and it's good to go.

I checked those joints by hand... (the grab, grunt, and shake method) AND checked for zirk fittings to grease 'em... but guess the factory one's didn't take grease 'cause I couldn't find the fittings.... new joints have a fitting.

Solved.