GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E34 weight/handling vs E38...E39? Thoughts?

Default E34 weight/handling vs E38...E39? Thoughts?

As stated in the title, I'm curious about the differences in weight, but most importantly the differences in handling in the E34 (Let's say a 540i) vs E38 short wheel base sport model. Also, what about the E39 530i (I chose the I-6, specifically)
    Last edited by CharlesAFerg; 07-21-2010 at 02:18 PM.
    EuroLux:. Private Detail
    E34 1/'89 ///M20 2.5i: Lachsilber

as far as the weight goes you can google that!

When it comes to handling...anything with a shorter wheel base will have better handling...anything with a longer will have a smoother ride.

7 are not meant to handle corners at 143 mph rather designed for comfort with a hint of handling...but don't get me wrong they still handle better than their competitors

the 530 and 540 are two different animals...your looking at a doberman pincher ( has a bit and rather nimble) compared to a rottweiler (which has a lot of bit but not as nimble)

I hope all this helps

p.s. If I were you I would get the 540i M Sport 6 speed...then again I do not have children or other people to haul around and don't care about fuel costs...
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3314&dateline=1239168  877

Quote Originally Posted by BMW4LIFE View Post
    as far as the weight goes you can google that!

When it comes to handling...anything with a shorter wheel base will have better handling...anything with a longer will have a smoother ride.

7 are not meant to handle corners at 143 mph rather designed for comfort with a hint of handling...but don't get me wrong they still handle better than their competitors

the 530 and 540 are two different animals...your looking at a doberman pincher ( has a bit and rather nimble) compared to a rottweiler (which has a lot of bit but not as nimble)

I hope all this helps

p.s. If I were you I would get the 540i M Sport 6 speed...then again I do not have children or other people to haul around and don't care about fuel costs...
    I agree, I do have children and a wife but still not so worried about hauling everyone around or the fuel. I really like my 540i. I couldnt find 540i M Sport so I did the next best thing and found a M Sport parts car. I now have the black leather sport seats, sway bars, 6 speed and LSD. Great cars.

e34 525 sedan vs. e39 523 touring

Having owned both an e34 and e39, the e39 seems to be better planted on the road and feels lighter and more responsive than the e34. It's certainly more "chuckable" into corners and when not driving like you stole it gives a much better ride in terms of comfort and handling.

That's my 2c
    1997 e39 523SEi touring.

Now that we're discussed that, ssume that I'm torn between the E34 535i and the E34 540i...

If it's not too much trouble, would you explain some of the builds that are possible for each of these? Up to and perhaps even including forced induction. A general price range? I don't think I'll go the forced induction route, and I may be slightly biased towards the big six.
    HP/lb, though, which puts out more and which can POTENTIALLY put out more with changes other than (and of course including if you can explain costs, etc) forced induction. Which would have a relatively even power curve, even with various upgrades? My M20 is pathetic in the E34, and I NEED more.

You can expect a V8 to be a whole lot more trouble to mod than an inline 6. You can probably check out what people have done to their e39's M60 engine in terms of modding it, since it's not so common an engine on the e34.

So this is also 6 speed vs. 5 speed tranny; my own preference would be for the more modern 540, but I would keep it stock. I'd be more than content with its 282 hp (208 hp on the M30). I can already get a good kick out of the 525's 189 horses. The M50's torque sucks in the low end, but picks up at about 3000 rpm.

But if you insist on modding, I'm sure you can push out a lot from the M30, although I'm no expert here on what the potential is.

You might still want to consider an M50 (non-vanos) and count it as a good turbo candidate. There are a lot of those out there... this engine having an excellent reputation.

It's a start.
    Last edited by BMWDriver; 07-26-2010 at 12:26 PM.

I second the 540 M-sport 6-speed E39. I've got one and it's a total beast.

Don't even sweat the MPG's, mine gets better milage than my E34 525i ever did (18.1 mpg vs. 14.9 of the 34).

As for modding, if you get the pre-facelift model (97-00) you'll be fine. The M62's then were non-vanos and take to positive pressure very well.
    Last edited by SnakeyesTx; 07-27-2010 at 11:49 AM.

"Scarlet" `97 540/6 with sleepy mods.
    "Box Car" '87 535isA - Old School Charm, new school Flair

I'm assuming you had an M20 car like me... Ha. That MPG sounds right, though. Everybody I speak to about it never believes me that a 2.5L can have such horrible gas mileage. I'm actually pulling off 15.4 AVG right now, and I'm pretty proud of that.

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeyesTx View Post
    I second the 540 M-sport 6-speed E39. I've got one and it's a total beast.

Don't even sweat the MPG's, mine gets better milage than my E34 525i ever did (18.1 mpg vs. 14.9 of the 34).

As for modding, if you get the pre-facelift model (97-00) you'll be fine. The M62's then were non-vanos and take to positive pressure very well.
    Interesting, I didn't realize the V8s had variations between years as well, I was under the impression that only the early I6 cars differed. Good to know.
    With that said, could you go into more detail regarding the differences between the non-cosmetic post-facelift and pre-facelift differences?

What makes the 540 M sport so different than a 540i with suspension/ chip/ trans software mods?

Do you have any other information regarding this car? You've got me curious.
    Last edited by CharlesAFerg; 07-27-2010 at 11:58 AM.

I meant I would go for a 540 e34, but I've never driven an e39.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesAFerg View Post
    I'm assuming you had an M20 car like me... Ha. That MPG sounds right, though. Everybody I speak to about it never believes me that a 2.5L can have such horrible gas mileage. I'm actually pulling off 15.4 AVG right now, and I'm pretty proud of that.

Interesting, I didn't realize the V8s had variations between years as well, I was under the impression that only the early I6 cars differed. Good to know.
    With that said, could you go into more detail regarding the differences between the non-cosmetic post-facelift and pre-facelift differences?

What makes the 540 M sport so different than a 540i with suspension/ chip/ trans software mods?

Do you have any other information regarding this car? You've got me curious.

I had a double-vanos M50 actually, but you're right, with a slushbox, they're horrid on fuel just having to push all the weight around.

Think of the M-sport version as the "Sensible Man's M5 without the strict maintenence schedule." You get the same suspension and fat sway bars, but not the military-like maintenence schedule. Ask an E39 M5 owner what's the most dreadful part of ownership and they'll tell you the maintenence costs. It's a real deal-breaker for a lot of people.

Pre-facelift will have traditional Halogen lights, but there's an optional Xenon version. These are easily spotted by the lack of -eye halo's, and the more squared fog-lights. Ignore the DEPO headlights in this pic.

Post-face lift models... Angel-Eye halo's (Hella brand headlights), and the front end lower area is a bit more rounded fog-lights.

Also, post-face lift tail lights look like 3 laser beams in the middle where the stationary lights go.

I've got a 97... these, 98's and some 99's have Style 19 wheels for the M-sport models... dead givaway (unless someone put them on there)

..but afterwards have those sad-assed wagon-wheels like in that picture of the post-face lift car.

Anything else?

"Scarlet" `97 540/6 with sleepy mods.
    "Box Car" '87 535isA - Old School Charm, new school Flair

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast