GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting ready to remove the 4HP22

Default Getting ready to remove the 4HP22

OK guys getting ready to pull the 4HP22 from my sons 91 735i. Kirt Kollear says to pull the tranny, strap it to a pallet and he will have a truck come and pick it up. I have read the Bentley manual and the BMW tech info document what else do I need to know?

1 How high to jack the vehicle to get the tranny to clear with my low profile transmission jack? I have found if you set the rear wheels on ramp stands and then jackup the front and set jackstands on the front swaybar bushings the car is rock steady.

2. What are the size of the torx bolts on the bell housing?

Some things are still a little hazy. Torque converter and drive-plate alignment...As long as you have one of the three edges of the triangle on the drive-plate down and you have the dowel aligned through the torque converter, should they be aligned? Sounds like it is a pain to get the three bolts in the drive-plate in through the little access window in the bottom of the tranny.

Looks like I will need to make an effort to keep the torque converter on the transmission while I lower the tranny. Once the tranny is on the pallet do I remove the torque converter and strap it down separately or do I leave it on the transmission and wire it there?

You have to drain the ATF from the tranny and torque converter before you ship. I am sure Kirt told you this.

You need female torx socket... buy a cheap set from ebay if you got time... otherwise check with Sears Online to see who has it... highly unlikely to find this socket elsewhere unless you can find a tool truck but be prepared for super high bux if you do so.

Torque converter is bolted to flex plate so you do need to rotate engine to get to the bolts via porthole.

go to Johan's website, he has pulled the tranny from his 735 without a pit, you can see the pics.
    The torx on my 4HP24 are of different sizes, not all the same, check on www.realoem.com.
    Upper ones have different size/head.

Use a long extension (if possible with small light at the tip to find the torx). I bought round magnets and put them into the sockets.
    In case the torx get round, a BIG hammer helps, hit the socket with the extension onto the torx and it will not resist to hold. I used new torx for re-installation.

As a guide, bellhousing on A5S310Z is 38cms top to bottom but you need to add depth of pan to that. Dont know what Bentleys says but for access I took the sump guard and right front wheel off. I recall someone saying you can get at the TC bolts via the starter hole though I never tried it. Shogun's tip about the magnets is a good one - I used a small bit of paper in the socket to make sure the bolt didnt drop out. When you backing the tranny out, you should be able to get long screwdriver in there to lever the TC back so it comes out with the tranny.
    Some very good advice on TC installation here:
    http://www.europeantransmissions.com...rter_insta.htm
    While the auto tranny is a big lump, I actually found it easier to fit than a manual because you dont have the splines to worry about

here without pit http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/gear...rbox_swap.html
    here we do it more comfortable with pit
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/309930/
    as you see, Johan is using the hydraulic jack also to move the transmission. We do the same and use it like a trolley, last week I moved an Alpina E32 B12 5.0 complete exhaust with a hydraulic jack under the car, alone, and fitted it alone. Doable.
    Had the car on one side on jack stands

I just used a normal 12 point socket and they came off okay. the bolts were not on that tight, but my tranny was off the car when I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    You need female torx socket... buy a cheap set from ebay if you got time... otherwise check with Sears Online to see who has it... highly unlikely to find this socket elsewhere unless you can find a tool truck but be prepared for super high bux if you do so.
    Last edited by BigKriss; 07-07-2010 at 07:16 AM.

Yes, it is possible to take it off with 12 point socket but to tighten will strip that head off. The socket set on ebay is so cheap, it is a moot point not to own a set. I bought the one that said Michigan Industrial... good product.

Got a Sears about 3 miles from here, going to go tonight and see what they have.

Picked up a loaner transmission jack, looks like Saturday is the day.

So thats about 15 inches, I will make sure I have plenty of room. Thanks for the info

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast