GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Want to change vacuum hoses. Need advice...

Default Want to change vacuum hoses. Need advice...

After operating perfectly for about 3 weeks, my '90 325is had another fit with searching idle that stalls out, stumbling at speed. Gives 1222 code. (The code had cleared before.)

Cannot see any obvious bad vacuum hoses or connections, so I think maybe I should just replace all vacuum hoses, for starters. Can I get hose stock from AutoZone or some place? Or do I need to buy BMW parts?

If it turns out to be the intake manifold gasket, is this a DIY for someone with moderate skills and experience?

Default Where is IDLE CONTROL VALVE on M20?...

Been reading old posts on the vacuum leak subject. ICV came up. And it occurs to me the INTERMITTENT nature of this problem reeks of possible electrical cause. What if the terminals need cleaning. I'd like to check that, if I can find the thing. ('90 325is)

Quote Originally Posted by Warren N.CA
    After operating perfectly for about 3 weeks, my '90 325is had another fit with searching idle that stalls out, stumbling at speed. Gives 1222 code. (The code had cleared before.)

Cannot see any obvious bad vacuum hoses or connections, so I think maybe I should just replace all vacuum hoses, for starters. Can I get hose stock from AutoZone or some place? Or do I need to buy BMW parts?

If it turns out to be the intake manifold gasket, is this a DIY for someone with moderate skills and experience?

Default Bill R said FPR diaphragm might be bad...

should I change the FPR? Or how should I check this?

i think that the ICV is the thing with the electrical connector next to the red dipstick in this picture...

http://i9.ebayimg.com/01/a/01/f7/4f/e0_4.JPG
    i think the m30 one is right on top of everything, the m50's is conveniently tucked under the intake manifold.

as far as the fpr is concerned, i believe that you can usually test them by applying vacuum (with a mityvac or such)....check and see if bentley has a test specification for it. you can rent the pump from autozone, while you're there buying hose. have you tried leak detecting with a propane torch?
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

excuse my dumassitude....you're gonna need a fuel pressure gauge in conjunction with that vacuum pump to test it likely, i was thinking of the EGR valve on mumsies ford taurus.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

the icv is right on top with the 3 wire plug, look at the hose from the valve cover to the throttle body, it's usually rock hard and cracked, it's cheep enough to just replace. funky running, look at the plug under the intake infront of the starter
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default I've R/R/inspected/cleaned round connector in front

of starter, the two rectangular ones just above it and the one on the ICV. They're all looking good, best I can tell.

Now I seem to have a rock solid crappy idle, trying to die all the time. But seems to run good above idle.

This car was gone through by the pros ($$$$) 2 years ago, and everything in the way of hoses looks brand new- AFM boot was definitely replaced and looks new.

Could I have a bad ICV?

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    the icv is right on top with the 3 wire plug, look at the hose from the valve cover to the throttle body, it's usually rock hard and cracked, it's cheep enough to just replace. funky running, look at the plug under the intake infront of the starter

Default Warren if you haven't already changed them, then only buy

buy bmw or high quality vacum hose...the cheap stuff from autozone is absolute crap... Bmw hose is sold by the meter by the dealer and i thing bma can get it for you also.. Its not that expensive considering how good the quality of the hose is... I use it on a lot of other cars also.. BMP and bavarian both sell it too including the colored stuff for some of the bmw vacum line. This is a page out of bmp designs catalog