GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Horn Not Working

Default Horn Not Working

Horn stopped working. Replaced the fuse. No luck. Replaced the relay. Still deader than dead.

Have the electrical diagram for the horn and I seem to have covered everything that can "blow".

Has anyone had the same problem? Or any suggestions?

Thanks,

Geoff
    Geoff
    Sydney, Australia
    '94 525iA

Not had the problem on my own car but as there are two horns I doubt they would both pack up at the same time. I'd start by jumpering the relay. If that works check you get a ground at the relay when you push the horn buttons. If you dont, it suggests the fault lies with the ground at the steering wheel. I'm not exactly sure how that contact is made but as its a moving contact its the one I would suspect. But as you probably have an air bag please dont go whipping off the steering wheel on the basis of my guesswork

How come you still have a horn Geoff? Wow!

I have a different take on horns... why have one? It just gives 'em a chance to get unstupid in a hurry and get out of the way: An e34 is a tank so it's probably best to hit your average asian yoghurt carton right in the middle, just like a kangaroo. Now I don't speak from a position of experience, but it should bounce out of the way, just like a baloon.

Now for those that don't know about Kangaroos, most people that die on Aussie roads, do so avoiding Roos. One of the secrets to Australian Highway survival is to get a bit Mad Max about it and hit 'em straight on. If you really plant it, less damage will occur. Now you might think I'm a bit mad myself, but you have to see it to believe it- people swerve around fish-tailing and doing all sorts of hippie antics, just trying to avoid them. No matter what they do, the Roo invariably end up jumping back in front. They are actually driven by an ancient Demon pissed off at white fellas commiting genocide and the whole terranullias thing. Once they get out in front of you, he grants them one last wish into their little brains; that they will get you so your blood will help keep the soil red. People end up driving off into the scrub at 70mph, impaling themselves on old gum trees. One can spend weeks dying out here but you need to be pretty pungent before any(thing)one can smell you enough to find you. Now if you think that Arabic drift training can make a difference forget it, bouncing from one pot hole to another hole just gets you killed and spread further over the road faster.

Now I've read that people overseas even manage to get airbag light warnings- and end up removing the bulb! Apparently some not only wait for it to blow but then they leave it... over here in Oz we don't have to do either, The first 'Roo one hits on the way usually blows the airbag. If one's lucky it happens on the way to a BBQ, so you'd rip the stupid bag out and use it to strangle the Roo (if it's still kicking), or collect the blood if its dripping.

Then we put it in the boot and take it with us, its a whole lot better than turning up with a few sausages or steaks!
    Last edited by genphreak; 06-22-2010 at 06:25 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Hoad View Post
    Horn stopped working. Replaced the fuse. No luck. Replaced the relay. Still deader than dead.

Have the electrical diagram for the horn and I seem to have covered everything that can "blow".

Has anyone had the same problem? Or any suggestions?

Thanks,

Geoff
    Once you are sure that the fuse, relay and switch are working it might be worth applying 12v straight to the horn. That will rule in or out horn failure and point to a fault in the wiring or an earth.

Don't forget to make a coin purse from the Roo's ball sack
    Last edited by Blitzkrieg Bob; 06-22-2010 at 07:12 PM.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Thanks Bob, we're pretty practical in Oz, not only whilst we dig up more coal and stored carbon than anyone else, we also recycle to help offset the damage. Not sure if ball sacks are commonly used though

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak View Post
    Thanks Bob, we're pretty practical in Oz, not only whilst we dig up more coal and stored carbon than anyone else, we also recycle to help offset the damage. Not sure if ball sacks are commonly used though

Sure they are...had one years ago...lost it somewhere

http://www.australiagift.com/sale/scrotum_1.htm

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

i found(have found twice) that simply pulling of the horn push(mine just pulls out) then replacing seemed to cure the problem....
    Gone but not forgotten