GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: "ST" tuning chip?

Default "ST" tuning chip?

I want to chip the car with a used chip from a guy with a good reputation on a local forum.

It is an "ST Tuning" chip manufactured in (W?)Germany during the lifespan of the m20s and was supposedly doing very well in the 325i it was in.

First I'm wondering if anyone has heard of this chip - it is a lousy one to google.

And second I'm wondering what could go wrong if the chip is no good. It has its own dme (y it is the same 173) and doesn't need a maf so it will be a cinch to put in but should I double-check anything on it or my own motor first?

M20 powered e34 will always be slow unless you pour some big mods into it.

Just buy the miller MAF conversion kit. it will help the induction and it comes with a chip.
    Last edited by Blitzkrieg Bob; 06-14-2010 at 01:42 PM.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bob View Post
    M20 powered e34 will always be slow unless you pour some big mods into it.

Just buy the miller MAF conversion kit. it will help the induction and it somes with a chip.
    I might do that later but this is cheap and easy and I have a suspect dme anyway so this is a good way to test it without pissing money away. + I want to keep a stock dme handy. I'm not looking for a racecar but +5hp wouldn't kill me.

A $20 'shitchip' always sounds ok, but watch out with an auto, raised shiftpoints are always part of the 'mod' and it will kill the newest of auto trannies, let alone ours.

I guess some are good. I've had a few shitones to Mark's Ultrachips. That EAT Ultrachip rocked my world at the time. It was almost as good as the Miller MAF, which is what everyone always says about them
    Last edited by genphreak; 06-10-2010 at 08:49 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

I say buy it for the spare DME and then replace the unknown chip with an EAT chip.

Be vigilant for detonation. I hear some inexpensive chips accomplish gains by lots of spark advance.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Hey guys - thanks for the replies - I've had it in for a week and I am loving it! It's a subtle difference but noticeable especially above 3k rpm.

Engine runs great although it is a little more sensitive to a small vacuum leak I have but just on startup.

I wouldn't say I'm 'fast' now... but I'm faster and I think I'm even getting better mpgs. Transmission shifts are actually smoother... well I'll be...

2 thumbs up for 'ST tuning'!