GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headlight out.

Default Headlight out.

My drivers side lowbeam has gone out, I replaced the lamp, but should of checked voltage at the lamp first. I've got 11 volts at the lamp and 11 volts at the fuse. After reading through the threads, I should take a look at the LKM relays?
    89 535I
    89 volvo 240
    78 Pontiac Trans Am, 6.6

LKM is a typical issue with these, commonly they can be taken apart and touched up with a bit of solder. I would link you to a walkthrough however I'm at work at the moment. Try googling "e34 lkm repair"
    1990 Islandgrun 535iM Sedan

3k oil changes | Euro lights + trim | Eibach/Bilstein | EAT Chip

Yip check LKM It's an easy fix
    89 535 272,000km auto Euro

Got the boards out, brought it to work. I work at an electronics mfg company, and had one of the girls resolder the relays and touch up others. Had an engineer check it out, and , says it all looks good. Light still is out, and still 11 volts at the light and fuse. I've looked around for broken wires, and did find some copper strands comming out of the harness that leaves the little box that holds relays for the wiper wash system, on the drivers side of the fenderr, but my car doesn't have that feature. The passanger is getting 13 volts when the car is running.
    89 535I
    89 volvo 240
    78 Pontiac Trans Am, 6.6

It is either LKM, fuse or bulb... check ground strap by the faulty bulb side. Make sure ground is good.

Quote Originally Posted by rockin1978TA View Post
    Got the boards out, brought it to work. I work at an electronics mfg company, and had one of the girls resolder the relays and touch up others. Had an engineer check it out, and , says it all looks good. Light still is out, and still 11 volts at the light and fuse. I've looked around for broken wires, and did find some copper strands comming out of the harness that leaves the little box that holds relays for the wiper wash system, on the drivers side of the fenderr, but my car doesn't have that feature. The passanger is getting 13 volts when the car is running.

Wait..... 11 volts at the light ? This will definetly produced some light, just not as bright as it should be.

Are you saying you've got 11 volts at the light but the light is not illuminating *AT ALL* ?

Quote Originally Posted by rockin1978TA View Post
    My drivers side lowbeam has gone out, I replaced the lamp, but should of checked voltage at the lamp first. I've got 11 volts at the lamp and 11 volts at the fuse. After reading through the threads, I should take a look at the LKM relays?
    Have you tried swapping the drivers side lowbeam bulb for the passanger side lowbeam bulb ?

I had a new bulb handy from the glove box, and put that in the passenger side to see if it worked and it did. Then I took the passenger light that was working and put it in the drivers side, and no light. Took out the bulb from the drivers side that I thought was bad, and works good in the pasenger side. If I hook the volt meter up and check the fuse for the drivers side it is 11, and the passenger is 13. Then I unplugged the light and tested the plug for the drivers side and it is 11, and no light. Also if, I unplugg the light I get a low beam warning message. I'm gonna have check the ground. I haven't tried swapping the fuses though.
    89 535I
    89 volvo 240
    78 Pontiac Trans Am, 6.6

Ground and the contacts in the socket needs to be checked.

Alright! Got the headlight working again. Turns out if I wiggled the wire off the lamp by the grille, it would come on. I unwrapped the wires and wrapped them seperatley , and now I've got 13 volts. Now I need to figure out how come when I start the car, the interior light fuse blows.
    89 535I
    89 volvo 240
    78 Pontiac Trans Am, 6.6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast