GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Need a rebuilt kit for a 4HP22 valve body

Default Need a rebuilt kit for a 4HP22 valve body

Where can I get a valve body repair kit for a 4HP22? I have tried Autosports Unlimited but they will not answer their calls.

for the 4HP22 there is no valve body kit available off the shelf like the one for the 5HP30.
    You have to contact one of the online shops and tell them all the details on the ZF plate on the transmission, type, production number, and the Stuecklistennummer = parts list number.
    Based on this they will tailor make a valve body kit for you, because there are some slight differences between the Stuecklistennummern.

Thanks for the info. Found a trans place in Texas that will send me what I need. He will set me up with the basics and told me that since the trans is shifting up and down when I approach 40 mph it is probably a broken spring on the 3-4 gear piston. I have download a 4HP22 manual and am set to perform the operation. Problem is my mind is getting old so I will have to the valve body apart and find the broken parts, reassemble it and then take it back apart to replace the broken parts and install the new gaskets. I will get it good and clean on the first tear down. Need to get some segmented trays so I can pull all of the little pistons and springs and keep them in the right order.

lots of newspaper and notes and or pictures. Everything you remove place on the paper in the same direction, top being same direction all the way through. If something dont work that way lay top side top and write it on the notes

good luck with this, it's easy once your done and it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibokojoe View Post
    Thanks for the info. Found a trans place in Texas that will send me what I need. He will set me up with the basics and told me that since the trans is shifting up and down when I approach 40 mph it is probably a broken spring on the 3-4 gear piston. I have download a 4HP22 manual and am set to perform the operation. Problem is my mind is getting old so I will have to the valve body apart and find the broken parts, reassemble it and then take it back apart to replace the broken parts and install the new gaskets. I will get it good and clean on the first tear down. Need to get some segmented trays so I can pull all of the little pistons and springs and keep them in the right order.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

There doesn't appear to be a kit for this project. I am suppose to pull the valve body apart and figure out which parts are broken and then replace them. The guy I talked to in Texas said most of the time it is a broken or stuck spring that causes the tranny to shift erratically between 3 and 4 gear. He said if there was a kit for the 4HP22 there would be like 80 of them. I guess this tranny is used in a lot of applications. Which is kind of strange since from what I have read on the internet it is one of the most problematic. Copy on laying it out correctly, from what I see on the internet professionals use elongated trays that they can lay the pistons, springs and balls out in order. I will probably cut grooves in some boards to lay next to the VB as I disassemble. Hot glue the ends so the balls don't roll out

I usually make a copy of the repair manual pages of the valve body and use scotch tape and tape the orifices and balls on the copied pages so that I know where what goes back in. Also pay attention to the way the orifices are installed, which side is up and which down facing.
    Springs: yes, already found some broken ones in 4HP24 and replaced them.

Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you some info.

Got the valve body out and opened her up. Man what a mess. Glad I had a big pan that holds gallons of liquid. Just when you thought it was done draining you would move a screw and more would pour out. I put cardboard everywhere under the pan and vehicle, boy am I glad I did. Didn't find any broken springs . Was really hoping it was something simple. Only found one piston that was slightly sticking. Was very careful to keep everything in order. Lot of parts. Next step is to contact Kirt Koeller and have him sent me a rebuild kit. As I tore down the various components I noticed that some of the parts in the trans manual were not in my version of the 4HP22. Some pistons showed two springs per piston whereas mine would only have one spring. One of the pistons had two springs where the manual showed one. I know there are like 80 version of this transmission so I kind of expected this. Anyway I have cleaned everything with brake cleaner and reassembled. I have left the half's bolted but not tightened. I know I will have to replace the gasket in the center so why bother. One trick I did learn was to draw the bolt pattern on a box and then poke holes in the box with a awl. Then as I removed the bolts/screws I would thread them into the box in their prospective locations. Not only did it keep the pattern straight (long screws and short screws) but it also cleans the threads when you unscrew them from the box

Rebuilt valve body but no joy. Still has shifting shutter at ~35mph and still shutters a little up through ~70 mph. Seems the trans shifts nice into fourth at 32 mph but if there is a load at 35 and above you get shutter. Only thing left is the governor or the F Brake? but I think these two items take a complete tear down. Way above my pay grade.