GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Recharging abandoned AC system

Default Recharging abandoned AC system

Howdy all.
    I bought my current 525i two years ago, at which time, the seller told me the AC needed a recharge but should work. I didn't completely believe him and at the time I was more concerned about winter operation. So, 2 years later, I'm considering trying to recharge it, but I wonder if I should first replace certain seals that have most likely dried out by now. Don't know much about AC, but I always hear people warning about dried seals. Is it common to just replace seals?
    Also, can the shop pump in that leak detector dye without putting any refrigerant in the system? I'm hoping that, by some miracle, I can revive the AC without spending more than $100.

Quote Originally Posted by BennyM View Post
    Howdy all.
    I bought my current 525i two years ago, at which time, the seller told me the AC needed a recharge but should work. I didn't completely believe him and at the time I was more concerned about winter operation. So, 2 years later, I'm considering trying to recharge it, but I wonder if I should first replace certain seals that have most likely dried out by now. Don't know much about AC, but I always hear people warning about dried seals. Is it common to just replace seals?
    Also, can the shop pump in that leak detector dye without putting any refrigerant in the system? I'm hoping that, by some miracle, I can revive the AC without spending more than $100.
    I was in the same boat...

I finally manned up last year and went to Autozome and bought one of those refills with a PSI gauge and filled the system with the whole can and now I blow cold air all day!...

I will check again this summer to see what the psi stands at but it is a lot better than it was!

worst case...your out $20
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3314&dateline=1239168  877

Ditto... you need a gauge to figure out what you need. Majority of time, it is only a refill.

Man, I hope you guys are right.

Wthout compressor running, you need at least 55PSI to get it triggered... Once compressor is running, you only need about 28 PSI.

Do we assume you are running the new R134a freon?

1990 535im 421,000 miles, 1987 325is, 1989 325is, 1990 m3, 1991 318is, 2001 X5 3.0

1995 is R134a

I'd check to see if there is any charge. Push on one of the valves and see if there is pressure. If nothing don't waste your freon trying to charge, you have a major leak.
    Have a look around all the connections and the compressor around the clutch for telltale oil stains. Fix anything obvious before gassing up. If you open the system or it's completely empty you'll need to vacuum it down to leak check and boil out the moisture. Probably a drier at that point too.
    If there is enough charge to turn on the compressor you are likely good to go with some gas added. Since yours uses R134 that is relatively inexpensive a quicky recharge is a good gamble.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"