GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: starter replacement in an hour

Default starter replacement in an hour

I have read several of the starter threads and have discovered an easier way of replacing the starter

I start by removing the expansion tank. Put a large flat pan under the car to catch the antifreeze. Remove the two plastic nuts #4 and then Hose #10 just pulls off and the other two hoses have clamps. I always replace the clamps with nice stainless steel ones.

Then I removed the Manifold support bracket

I then remove all three of the wire nuts. In the illustration on bwmfan it shows only one wire nut but I found there are three. (I modified the drawing to show three) In my case all three of the nuts and lugs were different sizes so there was no need to worry about getting the wrong lugs on the wrong posts. Only thing I had to remember was that there where two lugs on the largest post

Then working from area where I removed the manifold support, I worked a 17mm socket on a 6 to 8" extension along the engine and onto the two bolts holding the starter to the engine. Then I snapped a ratchet onto the extension. I then slide a 8" piece of pipe over the ratchet handle to give me more leverage. These bolts are on tight. With the pipe on the ratchet the bolts finally came free. Not a lot of room but with a little practice waalaa. You have to spin the starter around a little to clear all of the hoses and wires but it will come out.

Installing the starter takes a little patients. I found if I used the same 8" extension with the 17mm socket and attached a thumb ratchet to the end I could spin the lower bolt in while holding the starter with my right hand. I left the lower bolt a little loose about 1/4 thread. The upper bolt was a little trickier. Slide the extension along the engine and the starter and looking down near the firewall you can see if the socket is near the area where the bolt needs to be inserted. With the extension in the left hand place the bolt with your right hand into the socket near the firewall. Now guide the socket and bolt down with your right hand fingers and slide the bolt into the hole. Spin the thumb ratchet but don't use a lot of pressure. I had to play with the lower bolt and loosen or tighten the bolt until there is enough slop to get the upper bolt to catch threads. I know this sounds complicated but I removed and installed the starter in less than an hour using this method.

I have read where some of you guys have used modified wrenches or would flip the wrench over and over to get the bolts out. These bolts are quite long with fine threads. Man it must have taken you forever to get these bolts out One guy even talked about removing the manifold...Holycow.
    Last edited by Kibokojoe; 05-15-2010 at 09:21 PM.

One guy even talked about removing the manifold...Holycow

On the M50 I'd certainly do that. Nice write up!

Man I am glad I only have to work on M30's lot more room

Thanks