GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M30 dies when stopping periodically

Default M30 dies when stopping periodically

Hi All,

Been a while since I posted after getting rid of my shimmy after only 8 years of owning the car.

So I was driving the other day, I get off the highway and pull up to a traffic light and I notice a slight engine hiccup and as I come to a stop at the light the car dies. I try starting it, but it won't fire up. I keep trying and it catches then dies right away. Wait another 30 sec, and it fires up. I pull into the parking lot and as I am parking, it dies again. Left it for 15 min and came back and fired right up. I drive it back to work and as I am stopping at a traffic light, I notice the same hiccup as before and it dies again. This time it won't start for another 10 minutes. Any thoughts?

I am thinking maybe a vacuum leak, but not exactly sure what to look for. Any other thoughts? I drove it home after it fired up and parked it since (4 days now). I just can't reliably drive it now, so I need to try something before I take it out again.

Its a 91 535iA w/ 140K on it.

Thanks,
    Al

If you splash cold water on the CPS, it should start up... if yes, your CPS is dying.

Fuel filter plugged ?

Default maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    If you splash cold water on the CPS, it should start up... if yes, your CPS is dying.
    CPS=? Cylinder Position Sensor? is that the round wire on the spark plug wires? I had that break a while ago and I replaced it a few month later, but I believe all it does is manage how fuel gets delivered, 3 cyl at a time or all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Shogun
    check the voltage, maybe the fusable link has a haircrack
    http://www.bmwe34.net/Wiki/tiki-inde...e=Fusible+link
    Haven't looked at this, but I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibokojoe View Post
    Fuel filter plugged ?
    I was thinking about this, but my question would be, why would it work for the most part but then all of a sudden stops and then after waiting for it, it would fire up again?

Thanks All for your suggestions, I'll do some investigating tonight or maybe tomorrow and get back here with what I found.

Thanks,
    Al

I had this happen on my Honda. It would start but stall in a few minutes. After a few minutes enough fuel would squeeze by to start again but it would stall again. Changed the filter and wahlaa.

Oh forgot how many fuel filters are on these beasts?

change the fuel filter anyways...its cheap and takes 15 min to change

I was going to say fuel pump but that is just a guess
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3314&dateline=1239168  877

So I finally got around to replacing the filter and drove it around for a few days and on Friday I was running and errand and coming off the ramp again and the car dies again, but this time it never fired up again. So I had to get it towed which was the first time in 10 yrs, oh well.

I had someone turning the ignition on and off to feel if the fuel pump is working or not but never heard it buzz or anything. I had a volt meter laying around in the trunk so I decided to check the voltage coming to the fuel pump and there were 12 volts on 2 pins which I confirmed one of them was the fuel pump voltage from the Bentley.

What's next? Is it possible that the pump has pressured the system and wouldn't work till the pressure is lower? or the pump died for sure? Also is it possible that a wire got corroded and can be fixed without having to replace the whole pump?

Again this happened only going up a ramp of the highway which is turning to the right, so I am guessing something got shaken loose with the high speed turn.

Thanks for all the advice.

Al
    91 535iA

Crank Position sensor should be by the main pulley/crank of the engine.

There are two thing common in BMW to die... CPS and fuel pump. Take your pick.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast