GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Valve Clearance Dilemma

Default Valve Clearance Dilemma

89 535i now at 242K, been serviced by a great shop, Bavarian Professionals, past 5 years.

But they are telling me they notice some camshaft wear. It recently occured to me that the valves have sounded too quiet ever since they took over routine maintence from me in 2005. I suspect they may setting the clearances slightly too tight, in an effort to promote quiet operation.

I formerly set them +1.5 thousandths over factory spec, as this is what Korman and Bill R. recommended. They were loud as hell, but it ran like the bomb.

Am seriously considering setting the valves myself (to +1.5), to save my camshaft (and get better performance in the bargain).

Would appreciate any comments.

Hi Warren, I still go by what Brett says on his site here

been doing it that way for a long time now. Of course my early years as a mechanic was working on aircooled vw's and porsches where looser was always better. My m30 still shows no signs of cam wear at all and still ticks away like its supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren N.CA View Post
    89 535i now at 242K, been serviced by a great shop, Bavarian Professionals, past 5 years.

But they are telling me they notice some camshaft wear. It recently occured to me that the valves have sounded too quiet ever since they took over routine maintence from me in 2005. I suspect they may setting the clearances slightly too tight, in an effort to promote quiet operation.

I formerly set them +1.5 thousandths over factory spec, as this is what Korman and Bill R. recommended. They were loud as hell, but it ran like the bomb.

Am seriously considering setting the valves myself (to +1.5), to save my camshaft (and get better performance in the bargain).

Would appreciate any comments.

Default Korman? Koala? Who knows the difference? (Not me I guess.)

Great to hear from you, again Bill. Thanks for that info, again. I will set those bad boys the right way again this Sunday. Very curious to learn exactly how tight my shop has been setting them.

QUOTE=Bill R.;333880]Hi Warren, I still go by what Brett says on his site here

been doing it that way for a long time now. Of course my early years as a mechanic was working on aircooled vw's and porsches where looser was always better. My m30 still shows no signs of cam wear at all and still ticks away like its supposed to.[/QUOTE]