GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Question Regarding Installing Hands Free in The E34....

Default Question Regarding Installing Hands Free in The E34....

Hey guys I have a ?

I just got a deck with all the goodies (bluetooth, etc) and it has a handsfree system where there is a mic and the speakers work as your ear piece.

My question is that I have the stock mic from the car phone on the top left of the door panel and have discovered that it runs down through the center console.

I want to take that out and place the mic that came with the CD deck but I am unsure as how to pull the side molding off???

another ? is that where should I run the wire for the mic to get to the back of the deck?

thanks guys

if anyone has a write up or pictures that would be AMAZING!
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3314&dateline=1239168  877

Gibberish... Can't understand what you are trying to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Gibberish... Can't understand what you are trying to say.
    k let me try to clarify

some e34 came with hands free when they had a car phone...they had a mic on the upper left corner where the roof meets the beam (not sure what is called)

they ran the cable all the way to the back seat through the center console.

now my question is how do I remove that cover of that bar that connects to the roof so I dont break anything...

and once I do that what is the best (easiest) way to run the NEW mic cable as the old may not fit the new reciever

hope that clarifies things
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3314&dateline=1239168  877

I never seen a factory mic.. if it is that obtrusive, I'd just cut the wire and remove the mic. It is junk anyway.

For the new mic, I'd install it whereever the easiest... somewhere by the radio is fine... not need to route it up to the roof. but if you want to... just sneak it into the door seal and up to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    I never seen a factory mic.. if it is that obtrusive, I'd just cut the wire and remove the mic. It is junk anyway.

For the new mic, I'd install it whereever the easiest... somewhere by the radio is fine... not need to route it up to the roof. but if you want to... just sneak it into the door seal and up to the top.

Yea I was planning on cutting it as well and pulling it

as far as the new mic goes... I had three different places in mind

1) above the instrument cluster on the top of the arch behind the steering wheel

2) in the middle tip of the dash right above the CD player

3) the top left corner where the original was located

do you think they will all give the same quality of sound to the caller?

I will try to post pics of the system that is currently installed tomorrow as so you can get a better visualization.

Temporarily rig it up and test it. It makes no difference. You don't want it too close to AC vents or they might hear rushing noise.

I have that mic too. Never ever used the car phone in my 13 years of ownership (but still have it all wired in). But to pull that piece of trim off you first pull off the door seal trim in that area, then I think it just pops right off - it's held in with some plastic clips as I recall. I removed it some years ago when I redid my headliner.
    Scott
    '93 525iT 245k miles (sold, but not forgotten)
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyWM View Post
    I have that mic too. Never ever used the car phone in my 13 years of ownership (but still have it all wired in). But to pull that piece of trim off you first pull off the door seal trim in that area, then I think it just pops right off - it's held in with some plastic clips as I recall. I removed it some years ago when I redid my headliner.
    awesome!

That does not sound hard at all...If it is going to be that easy..I might as well put the new mic where the old mic went...

Thanks for the info Tiger and Scotty!