GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it time for a change??? Bill R, Jr, Anyone?

Default Is it time for a change??? Bill R, Jr, Anyone?

Well, I have had the Black Beast (1994 E34 525iA) for 14 years now and 235,000 kms later I am at a crossroads. The old dear is still in immaculate condition and drives like new. The Koni/Eibach combination is wonderful and the Michelin Pilots on replica Throwing Stars keep her planted all round. There is nothing wrong with the car and I smile every time I drive it. The preventative maintenance programme I have used over the years has paid off big time with not one glitch or hiccup. The EAT chip which went in God knows how many years ago has been the best single investment going. The car has won the BMW Nationals (once) and NSW Show and Shines (three times) and has danced around Wakefield Park a few times. The admiring glances I get when driving were not as I thought because of my good looks, they are all for the car (which frankly is better looking than me).

My speed fix (Supercharged E36 318Ti) has been passed onto my son so I am down to the BB. But sometimes, late at night, when its quiet, I dream about built in satnav's, comfort seats and anything but a black on black combination. And more power! Casrsales suggests the E34 is worth very little and here in Australia you can pick up a low mileage 540i with full BMW service history for about ten grand. 525i's are going for less. Maybe its time for a change...

Given that the car owes me nothing and is now worth very little, I should have no hestitation about moving on. Or should I?

Maybe I should supercharge it. I can pick up a kit designed for an E36 with a Rotrex supercharger like the one I put in the 318Ti from the US for about $5K. Except that would need a new transmission and diff. Talk about overcapitalising!!!

But back to reality... Is it time for an E39 540i Sport or should I go the whole hog and get a current shape 545i? Or a 645i or a 745i??? Or keep the old dear and watch us both get old together?

Really not sure what to do. Any advice from anyone??? Quentin still has his 535i and I would cop lots of stick from him if I bought anything that Chris Bangle had breathed on...

Thanks,

Geoff
    Sydney, Oz
    Geoff
    Sydney, Australia
    '94 525iA

If I had the money, I would have an E39 sport tomorrow, or maybe next week considering that it is a holiday weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Hoad View Post
    The Koni/Eibach combination is wonderful and the Michelin Pilots on replica Throwing Stars keep her planted all round. There is nothing wrong with the car and I smile every time I drive it...
    That sums it up for me... automtive bliss!

And you're still not tired of it after 12 years. Great work. Buy more beer this Easter, be happy Geoff!

Something doesn't make sense though: You have a worthless car that will require only 'planned maintenance/understandable failures' and you are thinking to swap to a later model that will cost a lot and may never make you as happy... ooooooh! Beware salesmen and your walking wallet.

The grass is always greener OTOS, but this is a hige human failing we all suffer from. The best way to 'be higher than that' is to consider your risk: Imagine regretting losing the BB and having spent $60k to do so... OMG!

Imagine having an e39 and all ther problems and wear. Requirign all the goodies like Konis added... Hmmm.

For me the whole point about the e34 for me is the timelessness nature of it. But I know the tendancies of which you speak: The only advice I will provide is this: Remains solid as a rock, hedonistic tastes will always corode love. BUT you don't want to end up divorced & regretting it & paying for the privilege!

Maybe consider an e32 740i with all the trimmings. The best of the best, with better handliing than an e34! Scout up a 6 speed manual for her, large case with LSD and nice Konis etc. Everything an e34 is with killer presence. Would still cost less than the first few payments on a 1 series... LOL!
    Last edited by genphreak; 04-04-2010 at 04:12 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

IŽd keep the old darling AND get a 645i

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

You make a good point about it being a solid car. The UK magazine Total BMW call the E34 a "Car for Life". And it is so very well built. Also there is a cost in getting the "new" E39 or whatever up to spec. But the same applies to any alternative. I may try a squeeze more power out of the old dear through a cold air intake plus cat back exhaust. that should free up another 10 hp if I extend to a bigger throttle body. It will never be a 4 litre V8... but.

Another alternative is go get an E34 540 and invest in an upgraded suspension. Maybe we will try Plan A first.

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

Cheers,
    Geoff
    Sydney, Australia
    '94 525iA

Every time I see one I go weak at the knees and start wondering where I can buy a Balaclava.... Do you think the judge would understand. Here in OZ they are still a 90 grand car. But if I wait long enough... I could be dead from old age.
    Geoff
    Sydney, Australia
    '94 525iA

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Hoad View Post
    I may try a squeeze more power out of the old dear through a cold air intake plus cat back exhaust. that should free up another 10 hp if I extend to a bigger throttle body. It will never be a 4 litre V8... but. Another alternative is go get an E34 540 and invest in an upgraded suspension. Maybe we will try Plan A first. Thanks for all the replies and advice. Cheers,
    If you want power... there is a guy in Castle Hill who is making really good extractors for all e34s (and selling them on the bay) for $1k. I know they are terrific (no affiliation, and he may not deliver as fast as he says he can, so beware). A CAI will get no power over the stock one, a larger TB will (esp with extractors). Going that far, you could siply add a cam (again, some guys are now doing these properly in Aus) so the value is fine nowadays.

Typ. cams are too heavy to ship and they can easily get broken too). Add an ECU whilst you are at it for maximum return.

If yours is an M50 you can get a set of M3 cams and a special chip, that will give you a massive step up (think S50 power less a certain amount as you remain without the extra RPMs), but you can add an ECU or a chip (Megasquirt or even the WAR chip maybe) to make the most of it under 7000. Some ppl in the US sell this as a standard mod to make use of the M3 cams they have lying around ($1000 retail with a chip).

All good cheap power mods to give her a decent facelift...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

I hadn't heard about the header option. Who is it in Castle Hill is doing this? I live next door at Bella Vista. The US M3 Cams option is a good one as you swap the inlet to the outlet (or is it the other way around)? Then just buy one camshaft and Mark from EAT has the software, so it is a relatively cost effective upgrade. But add headers then its worth doing all that then getting a custom remap.
    Geoff
    Sydney, Australia
    '94 525iA

Yea, he's doing them for all BMWs. I don't know how he's doing it... so well aparently. M60s, e28s, the lot. Headers are the best mod you can do as they bolt on and transform an engine. The only reason not to do it is that the factory BMW headers are about as good as factory headers get. The only trouble is, that doesn't say much... LOL! You'll find him on the bay. Not sure where he makes them, I suspect its overseas, best to ask him though.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Hey Geoff!!! Man it's good to hear from you! You are coming to the crossroads of E34 ownership. They say the BB isn't worth anything, so keep it.

Another E34? 540i Sport? Hmmm.....my opinion, skip the E39 and go into the E60. Even the 530i E60 has plenty of power, but the 545i....=)

We've owned the E39 and during our ownership, it was less than stellar. I would keep the E34 before I took that step. Consider the E60, that took refinements that made the E39 a new model and stepped it up to a whole new level. An E60 545i with the sport package, navigation, active steering, active roll control, and dynamic drive is a car that brings power, handling and luxury into the 21st century. Consider the choices and this would be my clear choice.

Maybe we should break down, buy the laptop and software to work on these cars and drag our asses kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Hope all is well with you and your family this Easter. I sure miss our chats.

Take care good friend,
    Jr

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast