GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Changed the Valve Cover Gasket and Now Have An Oil Leak =/

Default Changed the Valve Cover Gasket and Now Have An Oil Leak =/

Like the title says...

I discovered it when i was changing the tranny fluid

I noticed oil on the exhaust and traced it back up to the back of the engine...

I used a spray sealant when I replaced the gasket but apparently that was not good enough

the gasket is brand new and a VERY GOOD BRAND

questions...

a) what kind of sealant should I use?

b) can I use my new gasket or do I need to order another one?

c) should I use a silicone based sealant?

thanks guys
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3314&dateline=1239168  877

Are you sure that the half-moon part of the gasket was seated properly when you remounted the covers, sounds like thatīs where the leak occurred?

Anyways, when I changed mine I used this sealant sparingly in the whole groove in the covers plus the spots in the pic below: http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...sket_Maker.htm
    It helps in holding the gasket when mounting the covers and seals everything!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bo525i; 03-28-2010 at 03:44 AM.

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

You can reuse the gasket since it's new.

You're going to want to use an RTV in the spots on the pic above. I used Permatex black RTV on the M50 that I pulled the valve cover on to do the VANOS repair.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

I changed the valve cover gasket on my 95 525i about 16 months and did not use any sealalnt. No leaks. Why would I use a sealant?
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    I changed the valve cover gasket on my 95 525i about 16 months and did not use any sealalnt. No leaks. Why would I use a sealant?
    I was going to ask the same question, is a sealant needed? I'm about to do this on my m60.
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

Only reason I can see to use sealant is to hold the gasket in place somewhere it may move while you are placing the cover on. Well, exactly the spots in the diagram I use some sealant on the steel washers on the sump guard for exactly that reason. Doesnt perform any sealing function. It just makes life easier

Don't use a sealant except at specific points and then use use a small glob about the size of a pea. What engine do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Bo525i View Post
    Are you sure that the half-moon part of the gasket was seated properly when you remounted the covers, sounds like thatīs where the leak occurred?

Anyways, when I changed mine I used this sealant sparingly in the whole groove in the covers plus the spots in the pic below: http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...sket_Maker.htm
    It helps in holding the gasket when mounting the covers and seals everything!
    Love the diagram...thanks!

and yes i suspect the half moon as well...I am waiting for the engine to cool before I start.

Hopefully this time around I do a better job
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3314&dateline=1239168  877

Quote Originally Posted by kibokojoe View Post
    don't use a sealant except at specific points and then use use a small glob about the size of a pea. What engine do you have?
    m50

Exactly. The only other place is where a gasket makes a sharp turn and the gasket may not seal at the turn.