GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 540i Starter Replacement

Default 540i Starter Replacement

Hey Guys,

I am changing out the starter on my 540i. I am down to the two bolts for the starter. The car is up on ramps.

I removed:
    1. Two plastic bottom covers.
    2. Two heatshields.
    3. Starter heatshield
    4. All three electrical connections.

So I am down to just the two bolts that holds the starter in position. I saw one bolt on the bottom. Since my face is so close to the bellhousing, I am having hard time seeing or feeling the other bolt. Any hint?

Usually starter has bolt that goes through the starter and onto the engine block.. but this one is reverse... there is threads on the starter so it is new for me.

I know to drop the starter, I will have to turn the steering a bit for bigger opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Hey Guys,

I am changing out the starter on my 540i. I am down to the two bolts for the starter. The car is up on ramps.

I removed:
    1. Two plastic bottom covers.
    2. Two heatshields.
    3. Starter heatshield
    4. All three electrical connections.

So I am down to just the two bolts that holds the starter in position. I saw one bolt on the bottom. Since my face is so close to the bellhousing, I am having hard time seeing or feeling the other bolt. Any hint?

Usually starter has bolt that goes through the starter and onto the engine block.. but this one is reverse... there is threads on the starter so it is new for me.

I know to drop the starter, I will have to turn the steering a bit for bigger opening.
    Hi, I replaced the starter couple of years ago. The upper bolt was hard to reach, but I used extensions and u-joint (like the one I used in replacing engine mounts). I don't remember if there was any specific hint or trick, but I found it useful to relocate the oil cooler water hose to have more space, I also relocated the diagnostic link aside to see (from top) if the socket is in the correct position.

Turning the steering wheel all the way to the right is the only trick. There is no other. Unbolting and bolting are no trick.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

Thanks guys.

Augh... found the upper bolt but frustrated trying to get it seated in the socket... something is blocking up there... It is probably that oil cooler water hose or the wires... I can't tell.

I think I am going to jack up my car a bit even though it is on the ramp. The bottom of the car is merely an inch or so from my face... can't see too good when thing is right up my eye.

Hmmmmmmmmm... now I remeber the wires you're talking about. Try to relocate the wires aside and see if you have more spcae to access the upper bolt.

I must have removed and installed the M60B40 starter no less than three times diagnosing an electrical fiasco during my 6 speed conversion. I don't recall having any issue other than finding out I had to turn the steering wheel all the way to the right to drop the starter. With a combination of wobbly extensions just unbolt and bolt. Not even a universal is required.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

It is only one stupid bolt to get out. It seems like this bolt is a torx... I am simply using 3/8" 12 point socket to remove it. Will look for the right socket to install it...

Done. You definitely need torx socket to do this job.

You need to move the wire harness aside... and snake the socket with universal joint with long extensions between the tranny cooler line and tranny to get to the bolt.

It helps alot with two people. Pop that diagnostic socket out and top engine cover out and you can have someone from top guide the socket in... remove that bolt with fingers.

Full right steering to get the starter out. I installed used 2000 740i starter (about 6 years old) since I bought it a while back... engine turns over twice as fast.