GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bump stop or not to bump stop

Default bump stop or not to bump stop

3 years ago when I installed my new Bilstein struts I was told not to install a bump stop (9) or the spacer (3) now giving that the strut mount is broken I wonder if that was bad advice? Would including these two parts, saved my strut mount?

Don't need the bump stop as the billys have internal bump stops. But that spacer should've been in there. That spreads the load out over the strut mount to prevent the shaft from punching up through the mount.

When you posted pics of your mount I'd wondered if you'd left part of the assembly out. Guess you had. I've seen pics of rear strut mounts that someone had forgotten that piece in the rear and it did the same thing. Punched the shaft up through the middle of the mount in a rather short time. Now I've seen pics of it on the front mounts as well.

Who told you not to run that spacer in the assembly? I've never heard anyone say that.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

without the spacer I don't think it's possible to tighten the strut shaft all the way, you would have heard at least some noise. Internal stops yes, they do disintegrate at least in my experience. Stock bumpstops wont fit as that billy has a much thicker center shaft.

Edit: 3 years! wow, do you drive the thing?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by bubba966 View Post
    Don't need the bump stop as the billys have internal bump stops. But that spacer should've been in there. That spreads the load out over the strut mount to prevent the shaft from punching up through the mount.

When you posted pics of your mount I'd wondered if you'd left part of the assembly out. Guess you had. I've seen pics of rear strut mounts that someone had forgotten that piece in the rear and it did the same thing. Punched the shaft up through the middle of the mount in a rather short time. Now I've seen pics of it on the front mounts as well.

Who told you not to run that spacer in the assembly? I've never heard anyone say that.
    Yeah, that was on my 540:

I dont think it was the PO that did it, but whoever fitted the newest set of rear shocks didnt put part number 3 back on the left side.

Punched right through the mount while I was towing another E34 in distress home!

When I get over this surgery I will be taking her apart and snapping some photos/

Front Bilstein Sport does not need the bumpstop or even #10. Bilstein already provided all that. You still need #3 as it has a conical mount on the bottom where the new strut shaft mounts to it.

Rear Bilstein Sport needs #10 and #3 along with shortened bumpstop. You cut off about 2".

Bilstein Sport and HD is two different thing. Which one do you have?

don't use the bumpstops. stock bumpstops WILL fit, but the ride will be ass. I tried it, then removed them.

In the rear, I didn't shorten - I completely removed them. it's been two years with no issues, and the ride is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
    Yeah, that was on my 540:

I dont think it was the PO that did it, but whoever fitted the newest set of rear shocks didnt put part number 3 back on the left side.

Punched right through the mount while I was towing another E34 in distress home!
    While I do recall this happening to you now, you're not who I was actually thinking of when I mentioned seeing it happen to the rear mounts. I think it was E34.535.Sport that I was thinking of. He'd replaced his rear mounts and forgot one or both of the spacers and punched his up through the mount in short order.

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    3 years! wow, do you drive the thing?
    I'm quite surprised that it took 3 years to break 'em. And they're just started it looks like. At least he caught it before it did a number on his hood.

Hd

Quote Originally Posted by Kibokojoe View Post
    Hd
    ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast