GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: driver seat power

Default driver seat power

Does anyone have a pinout map of what wires to put power to to check a seat? Bentley is useless and I dont want to fry something by guessing.

Any help is appreciated.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

copied:
    Seat Motors
    This is just a quick write up for any of you that have been following my attempts at keeping a E32 out of the junkyard. The seats do in fact move and three of the four motors work. To get the seats to move I had to supply power directly from the battery to the individual motors. All motors use two prong plugs and to reverse direction just reverse polarity. The plug for the forward / back is in the rear inboard with a white two wire plug . One wire was blue/yellow stripe and the other was violet/yellow stripe. To raise the seat rear the motor is in the front middle with wires of Black/white stripe and green/white stripe. To move the upper seat back the plug is in the rear with wires colored blue/red stripe and viotet/red stripe. I have not tried the head rest yet. I never found the -4 screw driver input or the 25 torx to turn the motor nor have I found the red and brown wires but I think I got a quick sighting before I found the wires to make the seat move. Once I have the seat completly out I will take pictures.
    Thats what I found under the seat with 5 ball point pens, a pencil, a half dozen petrified french fries, a parking ticket, numerous paper clips, rubber bands, a hair beret, and Gerts famous electrical connection after I figured out how to get the carpet up. I also found 1/4 inch of water probably from the leaking heater core that I changed. The plug is toast from all the corrosion and started to fall apart while attempting to seperate it. Like I said I will take pictures and put them on the forum later. I did find the bundle with the brown and the red wires tucked up into the memory module with a bunch of other wires. I do not think I could have gotten them out from under the seat with the bolts holding the seat down.

03/91 750iL

I have powered the seat motors before with a 9V duracell.... works great.

There are max 3 thick wires at the harness under the seat. The brown one is the ground. One of the remaining 2 is for power to the seat switch... the other is for heated seats if equipped.

So if you send the - of the 9v (or a 12v if you prefer) to the brown wire and attach the + to one of the thick ones, either your seat will get slightly warm or you should be able to move the seat using the switch. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by tim eh? View Post
    I have powered the seat motors before with a 9V duracell.... works great.

There are max 3 thick wires at the harness under the seat. The brown one is the ground. One of the remaining 2 is for power to the seat switch... the other is for heated seats if equipped.

So if you send the - of the 9v (or a 12v if you prefer) to the brown wire and attach the + to one of the thick ones, either your seat will get slightly warm or you should be able to move the seat using the switch. Hope this helps!
    thanks big time, going to try later today. these have memory and heat so I didnt see any 2 prong switches, just don't want to mess up a good seat.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    thanks big time, going to try later today. these have memory and heat so I didnt see any 2 prong switches, just don't want to mess up a good seat.
    .... power won't work directly at the harness on memory seats, you will have to power the motors directly.... OR

grab a regular old seat harness and replace the memory harness... the same motors are there - then the memory seat becomes a regular old seat.

but a 9v battery is enough to move the motors with... albeit a little slow.

Good info.

I've been able to hook up 12V power on the harness:
    brown-red wire (positive)
    brown (negative)

This allowed to test out with the switches. The driver's seat is a memory-deleted seat (the memory buttons are there, just no wiring to them). Anyway, I've found that there are problems with the switches on that seat. Perhaps I can fix 'em.

I've also found out the headrest's motor cabling that turns the mechanism to be faulty, having shrunken it seems. Fixed.

Passenger seat is working flawlessly.

To test the heat, I followed the wires from the element that get to red and red-yellow wires. Hooking them up (red positive, red-yellow negative) will successfully make a test work. I wager that reverse wiring will not do any harm at all since it is simply a heating element.

Thanks Tim & Shogun!
    Last edited by BMWDriver; 03-20-2010 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWDriver View Post
    The driver's seat is a memory-deleted seat (the memory buttons are there, just no wiring to them).
    that was me... I can't remember where I got the wiring harness from but I did that so it would work... I don't think I have the memory harness but I'll look if you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWDriver View Post
    Anyway, I've found that there are problems with the switches on that seat. Perhaps I can fix 'em.
    Weird but I think it's just the plastic switch knob I must have swapped by mistake with mine b/c my switch doesn't work great and I think it is only because it doesn't fit on there all that well. We should try swapping them before you repair and see if it works any better.

Fixed the switch. Works perfectly now. I opened it up, cleaned up the very small parts, put it back together, all is good. Took pics.