GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Oil Leak (headgasket??)

Default Oil Leak (headgasket??)

Today, I noticed a small puddle of oil under the car. When I drove it home, I looked under the car, and noticed a pretty big mess. The sump was covered in oil (front, side, bottom), and was pretty wet. I checked under the hood and moticed the following:

1) Gunk on the hoses near the oil canister
    2) That visible gasket looks wet
    3) Gunk on the side of the canister

Could this be a headgasket? I have had no problems with temp, or coolant loss; I did not notice any white smoke. At any rate, I'm planning on taking it to the shop tomorrow. The car has 156k on it right now. If it's the headgasket, what else should I have done?

Thanks, Dave
    93 525i
    dave b
    93 525i
    156k +

The residue's probably been there for a while, something just changed and caused the dump (if it's definitively engine oil -- could be brake fluid or, more likely, ATF).

If the oil canister top itself hasn't just come undone/rubber o ring on the top is still good (hopefully, you checked that already), there are lots of places to look.

My favorite M50 oil leaks:

1) The pan gasket and filter housing to block gasket
    2) The O ring around the dipstick tube that everyone seems to destroy when installing after a pan gasket job.

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by dave b
    Today, I noticed a small puddle of oil under the car. When I drove it home, I looked under the car, and noticed a pretty big mess. The sump was covered in oil (front, side, bottom), and was pretty wet. I checked under the hood and moticed the following:

1) Gunk on the hoses near the oil canister
    2) That visible gasket looks wet
    3) Gunk on the side of the canister

Could this be a headgasket? I have had no problems with temp, or coolant loss; I did not notice any white smoke. At any rate, I'm planning on taking it to the shop tomorrow. The car has 156k on it right now. If it's the headgasket, what else should I have done?

Thanks, Dave
    93 525i

Don't rule out the oil pan gasket. Check it first -- it's loads easier and cheaper to replace than the head gasket! Here's hoping that's what it is.

The greatest concentration of oil is at the bottom of the sump - there is a thing with about 4 screws/bolts in it. That's where most of the oil is.

Under the hood is older gunk....
    dave b
    93 525i
    156k +

Dave

I would say, oil filter housing is the first suspect. Not the housing gasket but 2 valves on the housing. When engine is cold, spay some degreaser on a rug and wipe the whole filter housing and specially around 2 valves. When its clean and dry from oil, put you finger on on one of the valve in little hole and ask some one to start the car. You should feel that value got pushed outward and if that’s leaking then you would feel oil on your finger. If that is the leak point then you are very lucky. The cheapest fix of oil leak $2). My 92 525i had the same leak at same place and dealer was saying I will have to replace the whole housing (about $1000 parts + labor). Then I fixed it for $2 myself. LOL.........

Any way check it and let me know. I will give you the instructions to fix it.

Good lick.

I know this is close to 10 years later but if you recall could you go over this again. I don't understand the two valves you are mentioning.
    I have a leak that I can't track down and would love to have a $2 fix.
    I have a 92 525i 170,000 mile runs great looks great.
    Thanks Dom
    Last edited by shogun; 02-22-2015 at 12:21 AM.

Cannot see any valve on the oil filter housing http://2009.bmwfans.info/parts/catal...browse/engine/ maybe inside?
    But I found there was an older version, here some pics http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=442936
    http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/oil/housing.htm