GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M50 running like crap. Did I fry something with a super cool backfire??

Default M50 running like crap. Did I fry something with a super cool backfire??

Background:

1991 525im. The car sits in a nice dry garage over the winter and I start it/drive it occasionally. This winter, after sitting for long periods its developed starting issues. It soaks the plugs (possibly leaky injector(s)). After a few attempts, it usually starts rough and smooths out. So, on the weeekend, after flooding and not starting, I pulled the plugs, dried stuff up and tried again. When cranking it over, it answered back with a mean ass backfire that sooted the area behind the car and had a neighbour pop in to investigate. I pulled all the plugs again and let everything dry again.

The New Problem:

Once I finally got it started, it had a hunting idle (not out of the ordinary given the circumstances) and sounded/felt like it was missing. The exhaust is 'put put puting' rather than smooth. When driving, under any load it was definitely hurting. Theres a lack of power and vibration associated with any real level of throttle.

What I've Checked So Far:

- Code pulled = 1221 (O2 sensor) - haven't checked the sensor output.
    - All spark plugs are toasty brown
    - All the coil leads have good voltage
    - All the coils have proper resistance
    - All the fuel injectors have proper voltage (and vary with throttle).
    - No noticable inatake/vacuum leaks

Are the symptoms consistant with O2 failure (backfire cooked it?) Is the test in the Bentley good at determining if its bad? (I seem to recall that its not a great test).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave M; 03-08-2010 at 12:09 PM.

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

I have been told by my indy that the m50 does not like to be started and run briefly than parked. it runs very rich on start up and stopping it before fully warmed up leaves a lot of unburnt fuel.

I have noticed that t starts and runs very rough on a restart after say backing out of the grarage and quickly turnng the car off to wash it. Then restarting the car 1 hour later. Almost always a rough running engine.

Also mine for 6+ years has backfired on a cold start a few times a year. have no idea why or if it harms anything. BTW, this car has had plugs, coil connectors, ox sensor and knock sensors in the past 18 months.

Hope my experience helps.

Oops is the 91 a M50 eninge?
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    I have been told by my indy that the m50 does not like to be started and run briefly than parked. it runs very rich on start up and stopping it before fully warmed up leaves a lot of unburnt fuel.

I have noticed that t starts and runs very rough on a restart after say backing out of the grarage and quickly turnng the car off to wash it. Then restarting the car 1 hour later. Almost always a rough running engine.

Also mine for 6+ years has backfired on a cold start a few times a year. have no idea why or if it harms anything. BTW, this car has had plugs, coil connectors, ox sensor and knock sensors in the past 18 months.

Hope my experience helps.

Oops is the 91 a M50 eninge?
    Yep, its a M50. I tend to believe your indy following this bout of trouble. Unfortunately, I've since driven it for a half hour and had it to operating temp and its still running like crapola. I wonder what I've done?.............

Thanks,

Dave

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

Nest of mice in the intake, that you've just converted to black powder?

I like the way your neighbour popped in!

I dont think this is an O2 issue - they're being ignored at startup, though the question is, did the O2 sensor code appear before or after the backfire? It's possible it's become brittle with being parked up over the months and it's been blown away by the backfire. Question is though - does it run like a dog from stone cold, or just running rough after the O2 sensors have come online?

Try unplugging the MAF as usual and see if it sorts it out - maf wire could have corroded with being laid up.

Aged fuel, or split intake boot?

Just some thoughts...

EDIT: Hunting idle almost -always- signifies air leak as it's the ICV overcompensating... maybe a hose/boot has dried up during the layup, that's where I'd start... unplugging the MAF will tell you though.
    Last edited by Ferret; 03-08-2010 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
    Nest of mice in the intake, that you've just converted to black powder?

I like the way your neighbour popped in!

I dont think this is an O2 issue - they're being ignored at startup, though the question is, did the O2 sensor code appear before or after the backfire? It's possible it's become brittle with being parked up over the months and it's been blown away by the backfire. Question is though - does it run like a dog from stone cold, or just running rough after the O2 sensors have come online?

Try unplugging the MAF as usual and see if it sorts it out - maf wire could have corroded with being laid up.

Aged fuel, or split intake boot?

Just some thoughts...

EDIT: Hunting idle almost -always- signifies air leak as it's the ICV overcompensating... maybe a hose/boot has dried up during the layup, that's where I'd start... unplugging the MAF will tell you though.
    Good onfo Ferret, thanks. I did look at the intake, but I'll try again and disconnect the MAF. And yes, it runs like **** right from start up.

Dave

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

burnt valve?

could you have damaged the injectors? I'm picturing a leaky injector with some gas soaked deposits going up all at once ... good luck...
    Last edited by tim eh?; 03-08-2010 at 04:03 PM.

Check the plastic connector that connects the big ribbed vac line from the ICV to the intake manifold. The crap design of the plastic connector leads to the retaining clip breaking off and the connector working it's way out creating a large vac leak. This large vac leak will cause it to run like crap.

Had friends '95 525iT do the exact same thing. Had a nasty backfire one morning that ended up blowing the vac line connector out of the intake manifold. Unfortunately I didn't figure this out until we'd got & tried a used MAF, new MAF, new injectors, new plugs, etc. Spent a good $700+ before I found out it was this damn little $6 part that is so prone to breaking the local dealers all carry it as a stock item.

Part #9
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...24&hg=11&fg=40

Easy way to check it is to pull the throttle body off and look into the manifold. Then you can see if it's fully seated when looking into the intake through the throttle body port. You could also stick your hand underneath the intake when the throttle body is off and try to see if you can insert the connector farther into the intake if you're not familiar with how it should appear when fully seated into the intake.

Hopefully it's just this stupid ass connector that's causing your problems as it's cheap and easy to find.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Quote Originally Posted by bubba966 View Post
    Check the plastic connector that connects the big ribbed vac line from the ICV to the intake manifold. The crap design of the plastic connector leads to the retaining clip breaking off and the connector working it's way out creating a large vac leak. This large vac leak will cause it to run like crap.

Had friends '95 525iT do the exact same thing. Had a nasty backfire one morning that ended up blowing the vac line connector out of the intake manifold. Unfortunately I didn't figure this out until we'd got & tried a used MAF, new MAF, new injectors, new plugs, etc. Spent a good $700+ before I found out it was this damn little $6 part that is so prone to breaking the local dealers all carry it as a stock item.

Part #9
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...24&hg=11&fg=40

Easy way to check it is to pull the throttle body off and look into the manifold. Then you can see if it's fully seated when looking into the intake through the throttle body port. You could also stick your hand underneath the intake when the throttle body is off and try to see if you can insert the connector farther into the intake if you're not familiar with how it should appear when fully seated into the intake.

Hopefully it's just this stupid ass connector that's causing your problems as it's cheap and easy to find.
    When I did my major engine work a few years ago, I saw the 'crappiness' of this connection and took matters into my own hands before re-assembly. Given your experience, I will have a look at it in the next day or two to make sure it hasn't found a way of releasing. I'll also check the other end of the macaroni to make sure its still attached.

Thanks,

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

I should probably do something similar to that on her M50. I've had to replace that damn connector again. I think I first did it a little over two years ago. Next time I pull that intake manifold off I'll have a look see at modding the little bastard. Hope to not have to anytime soon. But if this problem it's currently got isn't fixed by a different fuel pump I will have to pull the intake off.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast