GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: riddle me this Batman

Default riddle me this Batman

When is lightly step on the brake at about 50 to 60 mph I get a slight wobble from the front end. But if I lightly step on the brake again for a total of two or three times the wobble goes away. Most of the time the wobble goes away on the third time and occasionally on the second.

If you feel it in the brake pedal look to the rotors and stuck calipers. If only in the steering wheel look to tires or suspension, start by rotating tires.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Ok I will rotate tires first. Rebuilt the calipers a couple of months ago. Any yes they had stuck, wonder if the rotor is warped now?

Quote Originally Posted by Kibokojoe View Post
    Ok I will rotate tires first. Rebuilt the calipers a couple of months ago. Any yes they had stuck, wonder if the rotor is warped now?
    Yes - machine or replace the rotors and it will go away.
    ss2115.

BMW 525i Touring - 1993 (current drive car).
    DS23 Citroen Safari - 1974 (restoration and modifications).
    Golf MkIII - 1997 (fun car and daughters learn-to-drive car)

Quote Originally Posted by ss2115 View Post
    Yes - machine or replace the rotors and it will go away.
    I disagree on the machine rotors part but highly agree with replacing them!

Machining is a waste of money and you are further more prone to warping your rotors because now they are thinner than before...

I would get some ATE power slotted rotors and jurix or textar pads (i think i spelled them wrong) I love them! =)
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3314&dateline=1239168  877

If the rotors are in good condition otherwise and havn't been machined previously, then the minor warpage he's experiencing would only take a very light skim.
    Under all other circumstances I would be replacing the rotors as well - especially on BMW's or Mercedes.
    ss2115.

Quote Originally Posted by ss2115 View Post
    If the rotors are in good condition otherwise and havn't been machined previously, then the minor warpage he's experiencing would only take a very light skim.
    Under all other circumstances I would be replacing the rotors as well - especially on BMW's or Mercedes.
    I totally agree with you that it would take a "light skim" but unless he can get it machined for FREE its not worth it top spend $50-$70 to get them machined when you can get now ones for a little more...

Couple things I will NEVER go cheap on are tires and Brakes...can't count the number of time where they have saved my life (both in the BMW and the RC51)

my 2 cents
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3314&dateline=1239168  877

Quote Originally Posted by BMW4LIFE View Post
    I totally agree with you that it would take a "light skim" but unless he can get it machined for FREE its not worth it top spend $50-$70 to get them machined when you can get now ones for a little more...

Couple things I will NEVER go cheap on are tires and Brakes...can't count the number of time where they have saved my life (both in the BMW and the RC51)

my 2 cents
    Rotors (like most things) must be a lot cheaper in the USA than they are here in Australia. We can get aftermarket rotors for around Au$180 but a good quality set or OEM can run up to $400.
    ie: machining is usually around 1/3rd the cost or better.

But I agree - I'm a person who will normally go new but thats just me. Everyone has a different income and everyone has a different view on life, recycling, replacing etc.
    ss2115.

We don't know the last time the front bushings have been replaced, do we?

Couldn't a little runout in the rotors get the worn front bushes 'singing' a little due to thier softness? Once he taps the brakes a couple times, the bushes get 'set' in the rear position and behave...

Thought of putting a bushing set in the calipers also. I assume they are available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast