GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Parked next to a new 5 series the other day...oh the horror...

Default Parked next to a new 5 series the other day...oh the horror...

Just happened to park my 1991 535i next to a brand spanking new 530i the other day. Man, talk about a radical styling departure. With the E39, you could see the lineage. And frankly, I've always liked the E39. I don't know that I liked it more than the E34's, but I liked its shape for different reasons. Driving either one would be just fine to me. But I really have no desire to have one of the new 5 series. To be honest, it is just not that visually appealing, which is one aspect that really drew me to the E34 and still warms my heart today. I still love looking at the E34's lines as I approach it in a parking lot. The new 5 series...I swear, the thing looks like a Honda or something. They just really threw the 5 series styling cues right out the window. In my opinion, they really messed up.

One of the important aspects of luxury car marques is the styling continuity they maintain through the years. Some of my favorites in this areas are Rolls Royce, Aston Martin and Jaguar. If you see one of these cars, you have no trouble identifying the marque. They make only subtle changes in their styling that freshens things up without leaving too much behind. I mean has anyone seen the new Aston Martin DB9? That is one beautiful car. The body on that car is graceful, elegant and muscular all at once. If they didn't cost an arm and a leg, I'd have one in a second. BMW seems to have really lost the way regarding styling in my opinion, especially in the new 5 and 7 series cars. The new 6 shows some promise. I sure hope they don't screw up the 3 series redesign.

Anyway, I just wanted to let off a little steam about the new 5. It really saddened me to realize that it's shape just didn't appeal to me at all. For me, a car has to have decent power, good handling and good brakes. But if it's not wrapped up in an appealing body...forget it!

Grace and peace,

Robert K
    1991 535i

Default when my uncle...

was driving das e34 to niagra falls with us (in Ontario), he commented that he doesn't like the newest bmws because they look like hondas. he is not a car guy, and drives a 2k dodge caravan. I had assumed that one would have to be extremely perceptive for a "normal" person to notice this, but it has to be extremely blatant for anybody and everybody to make that distinction. also....anybody here ever confuse the new acura tl for the bmw 5 series, particularly from the side???? I've done it about three times now, its embarassing.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

I was on the freeway yesterday and saw what I thought was a new 5 looming in my mirror. It took me a number of glances to really determine if it was a BMW or not. I originally thought it was a Grand Am. I am in BMW messca here in Oakland County and have seen very few of the new 5 series cars, has anyone see reports on how they are selling ?
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

BMW Group Sales Up 8.0 Percent For Strongest Sales Month on Record

The BMW Group (BMW and MINI brands combined) reported an increase of 8 percent in May sales for 27,787 vehicles compared to the 25,765 vehicles sold that month in 2003, making it the best sales month ever for the BMW Group. The BMW Group also reported year-to-date sales of 115,737 vehicles, an increase of 3 percent from 112,278 sold in the first five months of 2003.
    May Sales for BMW North America were as follows:

BMW Brand Sales:
    BMW of North America, LLC reported its strongest month ever, with sales of 24,432 automobiles and Sports Activity Vehicles, an increase of 9 percent compared to the 22,455 vehicles reported last May.

Year-to-date, sales of BMW brand vehicles were up 3.2 percent with sales of 100,821 vehicles compared to 97,664 vehicles sold in first five months of 2003.

Automobile Sales:
    BMW's automobile sales dipped slightly in May, to 19,385 versus 19,610 in the same month a year ago. Year-to-date sales were down 4.7 percent, to 79,896 automobiles compared to 83,793 in the same period a year ago.

Sports Activity Vehicle Sales:

Strong sales of BMW's new X3 Sports Activity Vehicle have contributed to the record sales month. Total May SAV sales were 5,047, compared to 2,845 vehicles sold in May 2003, a jump of 77 percent. Year-to-date, sales of BMW's SAV models are up 51 percent, to 20,925 vehicles compared to 13,871 for the same period in 2003.

Z4 Roadster:
    Total Z4 and Z3 May sales dropped to 1,669 compared with 1,940 sold in May 2003. The new Z4 roadster has shown consistent sales since its debut in 2003, reflecting customers' delight with the all-new BMW Z4. Year-to-date sales for the BMW roadster totaled 5,688 compared to 8,237 last year for the same time period.

BMW's new premium two-seater features a fresh new design and all-new chassis. The all-new BMW Z4 roadster marks another highlight in BMW's new design strategy, and sets new standards for premium roadsters.

MINI Brand, MINI Automobiles:
    Demand for MINI brand automobiles continues to be strong. Sales of MINI automobiles in May are up 1.4 percent with sales of 3,355 over the 3,310 in 2003. Year-to-date, sales were up 2.1 percent, with 14,916 cars compared to 14,614 sold a year ago.

The Spartanburg County BMW plant, where the X5 SUV and Z4 roadster are manufactured exclusively for worldwide distribution, is now recycling methane gas as an energy source. The recycled methane gas, drawn from the Palmetto Landfill near Spartanburg, will supply BMW with 25 percent of its energy needs. "This is a win-win for everyone. It avoids the need to burn methane. It yields significant amounts of clean energy. And, by avoiding 55,000 tons of carbon dioxide emissions each year, it results in cleaner, healthier air for everyone to breathe," said Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Administrator Christine Todd Whitman. Currently, employment at the Spartanburg County plant totals approximately 4,200.

BMW of North America, LLC has been present in the United States since 1975. ROLLS-ROYCE Motor Cars NA, LLC began distributing vehicles in 2003. The BMW Group in the United States has grown to include marketing, sales, and financial service organizations for the BMW brand, the MINI brand, and the ROLLS-ROYCE brand of Motor Cars; DesignworksUSA, an industrial design firm in California; a technology office in Silicon Valley and various other operations throughout the country. BMW Manufacturing Co., LLC in South Carolina is part of BMW Group's global manufacturing network and is the exclusive manufacturing plant for all Z4 roadster and X5 Sports Activity Vehicles. The BMW Group sales organization is represented in the U.S. through networks of 340 BMW passenger car centers, 327 BMW Sports Activity Vehicle centers, 148 BMW motorcycle retailers, 76 MINI passenger car dealers, and 25 ROLLS-ROYCE Motor Car dealers. BMW (US) Holding Corp., the BMW Group's sales headquarters for North, Central and South America, is located in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey.

Completely agree Robert and well said....I rank the new 5 at the bottom of my long list of cars I would consider for that amount of money. I personally think the car isn't just benign from a styling standpoint but flat ugly...particularly with the baseline wheel package.
    It is not only lack of lineage as you say which in of itself is not a show stopper for me but the incongruous intersection of the body lines and shapes that make up the car are awful. I simply hate the design of the car and put it in the same category as the E-65. I also saw a new 6-series coupe on the road and would rate it only fractionally better looking but still an embarrassment to the BMW marquee.
    George

Unregistered Guest

Rickm,

That's a wealth of information about the BIMMER but what about the sales of the new 5 series?

Quote Originally Posted by rickm
    BMW Group Sales Up 8.0 Percent For Strongest Sales Month on Record

The BMW Group (BMW and MINI brands combined) reported an increase of 8 percent in May sales for 27,787 vehicles compared to the 25,765 vehicles sold that month in 2003, making it the best sales month ever for the BMW Group. The BMW Group also reported year-to-date sales of 115,737 vehicles, an increase of 3 percent from 112,278 sold in the first five months of 2003.
    May Sales for BMW North America were as follows:

BMW Brand Sales:
    BMW of North America, LLC reported its strongest month ever, with sales of 24,432 automobiles and Sports Activity Vehicles, an increase of 9 percent compared to the 22,455 vehicles reported last May.

Year-to-date, sales of BMW brand vehicles were up 3.2 percent with sales of 100,821 vehicles compared to 97,664 vehicles sold in first five months of 2003.

Automobile Sales:
    BMW's automobile sales dipped slightly in May, to 19,385 versus 19,610 in the same month a year ago. Year-to-date sales were down 4.7 percent, to 79,896 automobiles compared to 83,793 in the same period a year ago.

Sports Activity Vehicle Sales:

Strong sales of BMW's new X3 Sports Activity Vehicle have contributed to the record sales month. Total May SAV sales were 5,047, compared to 2,845 vehicles sold in May 2003, a jump of 77 percent. Year-to-date, sales of BMW's SAV models are up 51 percent, to 20,925 vehicles compared to 13,871 for the same period in 2003.

Z4 Roadster:
    Total Z4 and Z3 May sales dropped to 1,669 compared with 1,940 sold in May 2003. The new Z4 roadster has shown consistent sales since its debut in 2003, reflecting customers' delight with the all-new BMW Z4. Year-to-date sales for the BMW roadster totaled 5,688 compared to 8,237 last year for the same time period.

BMW's new premium two-seater features a fresh new design and all-new chassis. The all-new BMW Z4 roadster marks another highlight in BMW's new design strategy, and sets new standards for premium roadsters.

MINI Brand, MINI Automobiles:
    Demand for MINI brand automobiles continues to be strong. Sales of MINI automobiles in May are up 1.4 percent with sales of 3,355 over the 3,310 in 2003. Year-to-date, sales were up 2.1 percent, with 14,916 cars compared to 14,614 sold a year ago.

The Spartanburg County BMW plant, where the X5 SUV and Z4 roadster are manufactured exclusively for worldwide distribution, is now recycling methane gas as an energy source. The recycled methane gas, drawn from the Palmetto Landfill near Spartanburg, will supply BMW with 25 percent of its energy needs. "This is a win-win for everyone. It avoids the need to burn methane. It yields significant amounts of clean energy. And, by avoiding 55,000 tons of carbon dioxide emissions each year, it results in cleaner, healthier air for everyone to breathe," said Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Administrator Christine Todd Whitman. Currently, employment at the Spartanburg County plant totals approximately 4,200.

BMW of North America, LLC has been present in the United States since 1975. ROLLS-ROYCE Motor Cars NA, LLC began distributing vehicles in 2003. The BMW Group in the United States has grown to include marketing, sales, and financial service organizations for the BMW brand, the MINI brand, and the ROLLS-ROYCE brand of Motor Cars; DesignworksUSA, an industrial design firm in California; a technology office in Silicon Valley and various other operations throughout the country. BMW Manufacturing Co., LLC in South Carolina is part of BMW Group's global manufacturing network and is the exclusive manufacturing plant for all Z4 roadster and X5 Sports Activity Vehicles. The BMW Group sales organization is represented in the U.S. through networks of 340 BMW passenger car centers, 327 BMW Sports Activity Vehicle centers, 148 BMW motorcycle retailers, 76 MINI passenger car dealers, and 25 ROLLS-ROYCE Motor Car dealers. BMW (US) Holding Corp., the BMW Group's sales headquarters for North, Central and South America, is located in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey.

Default Re: new 5-series . . .

Don't get me wrong, I don't like Bangle's designs any more than anyone else, but to BMW's credit, the new 5 is a great ride. The Susan G. Komen "Drive for the Cure" fleet was in town today so I was able to drive just about everything in BMW's stable -- from Z's & X's to 3's, 5's, & 7's. I didn't get a chance to drive the 645i convertible but they say it was on par with the 545i 6-spd, which I did drive. It is great performing car, enough to convince me to swear off of 3's forever, save the M's. The brakes are fantastic, gobs of mid-range torque, & very solid in the turns. The progressive steering (or whatever they call it) is a handy feature. If a body shop could get rid of the Dame Edna front turn signals & if there were an I-Drive "delete" option, I wouldn't mind having one.

But this year, after the day was done, my "old & busted joint" felt pretty darn good to drive home in. The upgrades I have done to it in the past year have kept me quite content with it. I finally have the suspension just about where I like it, the 5-spd conversion was a shot in the arm, sticky 50 series 16" wheels/tires, & Mark's -179 chip make it an all-around pleasant ride -- I think I'll keep it!
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

Don,
    Probing what you wrote a bit about swearing off of 3 series forever...was there that much of a gulf between the newer 3-series...M3's excepting...and the new 5 series?
    I know many have transistioned to the E-46 and like them. Lastly, pretty tall praise after driving all that new BMW iron and you get back into your E-32, although modded, and it still feels like a nice pair of worn in shoes....gucci loafers of course :-)
    George

One thing that I have always loved about seeing BMW's on the road is how they are driven. Before buying my E34, I remember being behind a subtly modded red 525 entering the freeway and watching it take off to 80mph with perfect grace. Multiple other times I had been behind M3's and 750's being driven enthusiastically, and it made me want one so badly. In my opinion, half of the appeal of BMW's is how they can be pushed beyond the limits of most other cars, but look like they are being driven at normal speeds. This is why the new E60 appeals to me.

Two days ago I was driving down one of my city's main boulevards when I could see up in the distance what looked like a new 5 series at a stoplight, ready to turn right to go the same direction I was already headed. It made its turn and meanwhile I was nearly one block behind and wanting to get a better glance, so I upped my speed a little to get a closer look. Had it been any other car, I would have been on its tail within 10 seconds. However, this driver took his right turn against the red, and rocketed to 5 over the 50mph speed limit in what must have been about 5 seconds. The manner in which he reached these speeds would have been completely unnoticeable, because there was no tire spin, there was no smoke coming from the exhaust...the car hardly looked like it was trying. The only reason I noticed was because I was trying to see what engine was behind all of this.

I caught up at the next red light to see a 545i badge hiding between the glare of the two snarling taillights. Simply beautiful.

AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHHAHA, "Dame Edna front turn signals" LMFAO, oh ****, Gale you just made my day

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    Don't get me wrong, I don't like Bangle's designs any more than anyone else, but to BMW's credit, the new 5 is a great ride. The Susan G. Komen "Drive for the Cure" fleet was in town today so I was able to drive just about everything in BMW's stable -- from Z's & X's to 3's, 5's, & 7's. I didn't get a chance to drive the 645i convertible but they say it was on par with the 545i 6-spd, which I did drive. It is great performing car, enough to convince me to swear off of 3's forever, save the M's. The brakes are fantastic, gobs of mid-range torque, & very solid in the turns. The progressive steering (or whatever they call it) is a handy feature. If a body shop could get rid of the Dame Edna front turn signals & if there were an I-Drive "delete" option, I wouldn't mind having one.

But this year, after the day was done, my "old & busted joint" felt pretty darn good to drive home in. The upgrades I have done to it in the past year have kept me quite content with it. I finally have the suspension just about where I like it, the 5-spd conversion was a shot in the arm, sticky 50 series 16" wheels/tires, & Mark's -179 chip make it an all-around pleasant ride -- I think I'll keep it!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast