GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: motor does not rise (jacking) equally on both sides

Default motor does not rise (jacking) equally on both sides

I'm trying to hunt down the reason that my driveline sits between 3/16 and 5/16 too far away for the transmission to connect, and decided to change my motor mounts to see if it would make a difference. lifting the motor up seems to kill a good deal of the gap.

however, when jacking the engine up (under the oil pan) using a transmission jack, i found that one side takes substantially more lift to get the mount out than the other. the passenger side of my m50 (ie, side with the a/c compressor) took a great deal more lift to get the mount clear than the driver's side (alternator, ps pump). as in, the fan clutch was way above where the radiator's top would be. is there a possibility that something is broken and that the support for the engine/transmission is sagging to one side? it sure does not look like it. anyone have experience changing motor mounts on the m50? thanks.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

I know when I done mine I had to jack one side up more than the other which was a bit of a pain as the fan was hitting the shroud... It's painful jacking it up so high, i really didn't like it! I know mines a m30 but same horse different jockey I would imagine. I hope all is ok, someone with an m50 will confirm if it's the same deal, as I'm sure it's been done a million times before. Have you put the engine down with the new mounts? Maybe the mounts had collapsed and left the engine sagging?
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

I have installed the new motor mounts on both sides. In fact, all 6 of the mounts on the engine and transmission are new, so I don't understand why i might have a sag issue. curious thing about the new motor mounts. Jacking the motor up to try to get the mounts out resulted in a closing of the 3/16-5/16 distance, even on the old busted mounts. new mounts have brought it back closer to 5/16.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

When I did my mounts, I hoisted the engine from above, so I didn't really notice the lopsidedness, but what you described doesn't really surprise me. The passenger side, after-all, is weighed down by the entire exhaust system. Or did you take the exhaust off? At the very least, you still have the heavy headers on that side.

aah yes, the exhaust is on that side. nevermind, then. thanks.

Default 6 mounts?

6 mounts? I have a m30 and as far as I know there are only two for the motor and two for the transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine View Post
    I have installed the new motor mounts on both sides. In fact, all 6 of the mounts on the engine and transmission are new, so I don't understand why i might have a sag issue. curious thing about the new motor mounts. Jacking the motor up to try to get the mounts out resulted in a closing of the 3/16-5/16 distance, even on the old busted mounts. new mounts have brought it back closer to 5/16.
    Last edited by Kibokojoe; 03-06-2010 at 07:40 AM.

You still struggling? IIRC you put in an auto box from an E36? Dont know your car's build date so put in mine but changed area to US. Surprised to see there are 2 types of output flange. Both have 3 bolt holes but if I'm reading it correctly, one is 12mm longer:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...02&hg=24&fg=15
    Last edited by whiskychaser; 03-06-2010 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine View Post
    aah yes, the exhaust is on that side. nevermind, then. thanks.
    I'd imagine most of the weight of the engine was on that side too, seeing as it leans in that direction?

? What does this have to do with "6 mounts"

Quote Originally Posted by Kibokojoe View Post
    6 mounts? I have a m30 and as far as I know there are only two for the motor and two for the transmission.
    The m50tu, likely M50 also, have six mounts. Four you already pointed out. There are two more between them.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed