GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5HP30 ATF Substitute

Default 5HP30 ATF Substitute

It's getting time to change out my 5HP30 ATF fluid and I noticed that our old standby, Pennzoil Multi ATF has changed formulation back to mineral. I'm kinda hesitant to go non synthetic.

What are you using these days? Castrol and Mobil One have LA2634 complaint synthetics, but I've never used them. Amsoil also has similar claims.

This will be the first change for my Kirt rebuilt 5HP30, and don't wanna muck it up.

Thanks

Ramon
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Quote Originally Posted by MBXB View Post
    It's getting time to change out my 5HP30 ATF fluid and I noticed that our old standby, Pennzoil Multi ATF has changed formulation back to mineral. I'm kinda hesitant to go non synthetic.

What are you using these days? Castrol and Mobil One have LA2634 complaint synthetics, but I've never used them. Amsoil also has similar claims.

This will be the first change for my Kirt rebuilt 5HP30, and don't wanna muck it up.

Thanks

Ramon
    I am actually doing the same thing right now...

I have narrowed it down to Amsoil, Swepco or Royal Purple....I was going to use MB1 but people have had bad results
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3314&dateline=1239168  877

Hm, my local farm & fleet store just had some MVATF on closeout, so I stocked up -- I'll be a little honked if it's not the semisynthetic formula.

I've had someone recommend Redline D4 ATF as a pretty good fluid. The Redline Web site says it's OK to replace the Shell and Esso stuff. Amsoil recommends their universal ATV for LA2634 replacement and their fuel-efficient ATF to replace the Esso product.

BMW4, what did you hear to dissuade you from using Mobil ATF? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post

BMW4, what did you hear to dissuade you from using Mobil ATF? Just curious.
    As far as Mobile 1 goes the information that I am about to relay to is purely third party and I have not performed any tests to confirm the results so take it how you like

As far as the gear oil goes...I am interested in replacing mine and was looking into MB1 mainly due to the price (RP = $19 qrt, Amsoil $13 qrt, while MB1 is $8qrt)...I read up on the item and asked a lot of questions and it seems like people tend to hear chatter when using MB1...So I took that with a grain of salt...I then asked my mechanic who is a BMW tech as he has been trained at BMW schools and an racer (a Porsche) and he told me that when he was in school everyone was all about SWEPCO as being the best fluid out there!...He wasn't too about the price being that it is ~$60 a gallon which makes it $15 quart (still cheaper than RP) so he went to MB1 instead seeing that he could get it locally and it was cheap...

he said that they first week he noticed a lot of chatter from his differential. The thought of it being his diff came to mind so he took it all apart and noticed that it was in perfect order...he then filled MB1 and noticed the same chatter...so he decided to man up on the SWEPCO and he says that it works like a dream now

As far as their tranny oil goes....I have not read anything terribly bad about them but then again I have not heard anything great about them either.

When looking at the motor oil...I have no complaints...I use the 10-40W high mileage in my E34 without any problems...I have used Castrol and Chevron oils before and have noticed that ever since I changed to MB1 oil I have gotten better MPG, better acceleration, and better start ups...

Then again this is not to say that MB1 makes the best motor oil...just that it is working well at the moment...

Do a search on Amsoil...bubba praises that stuff...he has gotten me curious to try it for myself
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3314&dateline=1239168  877

Graybeard,

Here's line link on the Pennzoil MV-ATF reformulation.
    http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1099278
    I still have 3 qts Pennzoilleft over from the last change I did on the prior tranny.
    I find it hard to believe that since 1994, more syn fluids have not advanced or exceeded that particular ATF performance spec.
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

p.s. i think you will like this read

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...8aRU8TaeSsiLgQ

Interesting that Pennzoil is not a semi synthetic anymore. I think I got a couple of quarts left over if not anymore...

The Amsoil last I bought was around $9 a quart two years ago... I bought gallon size and bought like 4 bottles with 6 month membership... something like that.

Castrol is BillR's favorite so I would use Castrol Euro MV ATF. BillR used it in alot of BMW he serviced.

Default Tranny Fluid!

I have the pennzoil mulit atf in mine now, I want to change out but not sure to mix with what i want to put in( castrol multi atf). I know if I drop the pan I might get about 5to 8 quarts out. Let me hear what you guys think about this!

Sorry about the slow reply ... but I wanted to say thanks for bringing me up to speed on the change to Pennzoil MVATF. I looked at one of the bottles I have and, sure enough, the label says it's mineral oil.

I'm about due for a fluid change and I think I'll go with either Amsoil or Redline. They're both about $10 a quart around here. I never see Castrol ATF -- Valvoline is more common -- but considering that a fluid change is likely to leave several residual quarts in the transmission, I think a full synthetic would be of greater benefit than a synthetic blend.

Default Another fluid alternative

I just got my 540i back after paying someone to work on it <shudder>. Aside from the dent in my wallet, though, the experience was pretty positive. New guibo, center bearing, fluid and filter. The mechanic cheerfully used parts I provided.

He replaced the Pennzoil MVATF with a fully synthetic product I was not aware of called ENEOS from Nippon Oil. It was a couple bucks cheaper than Amsoil Universal and Redline D4, so we'll see how it goes. I'll keep the board posted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast