GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Mobiles and routers

Default OT: Mobiles and routers

Firstly, can I say I dont understand why you would want to connect to the net with your mobile when you have a laptop that works fine. I use a PC and its hard wired via the router. It works fine, has got a great big screen I can see and I'm very happy thanks. BUT my partner and her son have an ipod and a Nokia 5800 and they wont connect to the net via the WRT54GS router.
    (I have a crappy LG. It texts and sends pictures. WTF else do I need?)
    Well if I bugger about with a static IP on the 5800 it will connect but thats a lot of good if you go somewhere else. So can anybody recommend a router which WILL work? I've searched and they all seem to have a problem with one or the other. Yeah I know I should post this on an IT forum but I prefer to talk to people who speak a language I understand

I don't think it is the router hardware problem, but rather the configuration. Depends on where you live... and how many other routers in the vincinity. Say you live in city area that have multiple wireless routers, you need to do a couple of things.

1. Select a certain channel other than default so not all routers are using the same channel... even if it is auto... select it manually for one that seems easier to connect.

2. Since that is a b/g router... in the configurlation, select G only... that way it doesn't waste resources trying to decide whether b or g connection.

3. If there are multiple routers, say everyone has a 192.168.2.1... you need to choose other addresses so devices don't get confused on which router... so select like 192.168.45.1 for your router... and range of 192.168.45.60 to 192.168.45.100.

Once you do all of the above, be sure check that your wired pc is reset to that address by rebooting your pc or do ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew command prompt.

Then try connecting your wireless devices.

Also, if your router is like a couple of years old, be sure to update your firmware via wired connection.

Make sure that your Wifi authentication / encryption is set to be the same as what the phone supports.

Ie. if the phone supports WEP only, then your Wifi needs to dish out WEP authentication.

This isn't the only problem that could stop a stable connection on the phone, but it's a start I guess. There could be a dozen other things that could cause issues, I guess the one I mentioned above is just one to eliminate from the list.

BTW, I have mobile phones in my household that doesn't support WPA2 (what my wifi connection provides), I just have a policy in my house stating that if your phone doesn't support the security I provide, then you're stuck on 3G (or even 2G!). No way am I going to reduce my security level and risk being compromised just for your shitty phone Naturally my iPhone has no problems connecting.

Thanks for the responses Gents. And in a language I can understand
    The router has latest firmware, is set to WEP and has DHCP enabled.
    I tried setting to G only, using a different channel and changing the IP address but without any luck.
    The router can see the ipod and gives it an IP address. The ipod can see the router but when you click to connect to it, it hangs and then puts in an odd 169 address. But if you take it back to the shop it connects and gets on the net in seconds
    The Nokia also sees the router, gets an IP address but then comes up with 'no gateway'. If I give it a static IP and input the gateway and dns server details manually, it will connect. But thats no good if you use it somewhere else
    I've read that the Nokia 5800 and ipod can both have problems with the WRT54GS but havent come across a good reason why. Its about 5 years old and I dont mind buying a new one if its saves the earache!
    So Lunatic, mind me asking what router you are using? might just give it a try

Default Update

Just had an online chat with Cisco (who make Linksys products). Their only solution is to set static IPs for both the iPOD and Nokia 5800. I asked if they could suggest another product that would work. Best they came up with was the WRT610N where you can reserve an IP. Think maybe we will have to wander around the shops with both phones and find a network they will both log onto without messing about

I copied this from a website. How come you are not using WPA? WEP really sux.

hey..hows ur nokia 5800..i guess everybody is wrong..i just got my new 5800 a while ago connected to my wireless router and i want it it to share with u.. the secret is ...the GATEWAY..u must know the ip address and subnet mask of ur desktop computer and gateway of ur router..do this tru ryt click on ur icon of ur wireless network connection on the lower ryt corner of ur screen..then click status..click support...did u see ur default gateway?

now go and set up the following on ur fone

menu
    settings
    connectivity
    destination
    internet
    choose ur router's name (be sure that ur fone is disconected to ur router while on this set up)
    options
    edit
    options
    advance settings
    IPv4 settings
    phone ip address
    switch from automatic to defined settings
    for example ,the ip address of ur desktop computer is 192.168.1.102, make ur fone ip address to be 192.168.1.103
    then copy the subnet mask and the default gateway of ur desktop computer.. ex. subnet mask = 255.255.255.0 default gateway = 192.168.1.1
    done
    You can now connect to ur wireless router...the moment ur already connected,u can now start surfing the net...

that's all folks...

which ipod do you have?

Another tip on Ipod

If you are using a third-party router, you should use the WPA key that is generated after you type in your passphrase on the router. If you type in "subscriptions" as your passphrase, a key will be generated that is usually 26 letters in length. It will be a combination of capital letters, lower case letters and numbers. It is a pain to type in correctly, especially since the Touch only gives you a brief second to see if you are typing the information in accurately.

Also, on your router, if you are using WPA you might want to change to TKIP; if you are using WPA2, you should use AES. If you do have a setting on your router that allows for both, then use that. Right now I am using AES with WPA2 from a Linksys N-Router and I can connect to my Touch.

Maybe you have this "on"
    If you have MAC address filtering enabled on your router, don't forget that you must enter the MAC address that is on your Touch into the router in order to get access.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    which ipod do you have?
    I used the procedure you quoted to get the Nokia 5800 Music to connect though it can be a little hit and miss. And if you want to use it somewhere else you have to mess about with the settings again.

Its an ipod touch. But I couldnt get it to work the same way as the Nokia, maybe because the software doesnt let you input 2 x DNS addresses.
    I'm using a WEP generated key because one of the laptops wouldnt connect otherwise. But that got damaged in a 'flood' so I should really change it. I havent got MAC filtering on so that shouldnt be a problem.

I'm thinking of packing the two of them off to Burger King or motorway services or the airport with their phones. When they find something they can both connect to, they can find out what it is and can come home

Many thanks for the help!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast