GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CODE BLUE...CODE BLUE...I Think I Have An Issue With The E34..... EWWWWW

Default CODE BLUE...CODE BLUE...I Think I Have An Issue With The E34..... EWWWWW

So I went to change the plugs out today and noticed that some were soaked in oil while others have residues and one was perfect....pictures coming soon!

I was OMG...I took the plugs out and cleaned all the plug bay with bounty making sure non of it went into the chamber...

I looked into the chamber with my flash light and saw what I think are the pistons...they did not look clean at all...They had what looked like A LOT of carbon build up on them....

I then went ahead and changed the plugs with the OE Bosch (sorry bubba but i chickened out on the E3s) and plugged everything back in...tightened all the screws and put it all together....when I went to start the car I got the biggest white cloud out of my exhaust!...and the roughest Idle I have ever experienced....

the rough ideal remained for the next 30 secs while my heart began to stop...then it smoothed out...then there was a jolt of rough ideal for a sec then smoothed out...

I then took the car for a small ride around my house not breaking third gear and everything seemed perfect....I turned the car off and on again and noticed nothing out of the ordinary!

Do I have a blown head gasket? cracked block? why is there oil? what is the white smoke? why the rough ideal?

Im freaking out! =(

HELP!

thanks!
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3314&dateline=1239168  877

Unless you were expecting to find oil in the plug wells, you wouldnt really be looking for it. So you remove the plugs and any oil in there runs down into the cylinders without you knowing it.
    When you come to fire up you are burning off the oil that has run down. Until thats done the mixture is well out and it runs like a pig. Its pretty much what you get if you have introduced a little oil into cylinders when doing a compression test. The tell tale for you is if your socket has oil on it and if the old plugs' shoulders and threads have oil on them.

It's nothing, it's just the oil that was sat around the plugs running into the cylenders as you take the old plugs out...

very common thing!

Quote Originally Posted by BMW4LIFE View Post
    So I went to change the plugs out today and noticed that some were soaked in oil while others have residues and one was perfect....pictures coming soon!

I was OMG...I took the plugs out and cleaned all the plug bay with bounty making sure non of it went into the chamber...

I looked into the chamber with my flash light and saw what I think are the pistons...they did not look clean at all...They had what looked like A LOT of carbon build up on them....

I then went ahead and changed the plugs with the OE Bosch (sorry bubba but i chickened out on the E3s) and plugged everything back in...tightened all the screws and put it all together....when I went to start the car I got the biggest white cloud out of my exhaust!...and the roughest Idle I have ever experienced....

the rough ideal remained for the next 30 secs while my heart began to stop...then it smoothed out...then there was a jolt of rough ideal for a sec then smoothed out...

I then took the car for a small ride around my house not breaking third gear and everything seemed perfect....I turned the car off and on again and noticed nothing out of the ordinary!

Do I have a blown head gasket? cracked block? why is there oil? what is the white smoke? why the rough ideal?

Im freaking out! =(

HELP!

thanks!
    Consider replacing your valve cover gaskets to prevent the oil leak.
    glen-sj
    1995 530IA USA
    Production 6/95

what are e3 plugs?

BTW, replace your valve cover gasket. I do mine every other plug change/30,000 miles
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

E3 plugs are new plugs... just look it up. It has a wierd looking single electrode that has a better spark. I have it in my chainsaw or trimmer and it was a world of difference to start up a 2 stroke.

okay that makes me feel a lot better...

I noticed the oil on the second plug from the front of the car so I started shoving paper towels to soak up as much as I could before I could pull the plug.

But I do have to say that I am happy it is not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I will look into the value gasket...do I need to remove the plugs again to change that?

What should I do regarding the pistons? Should I run seafoam?
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3314&dateline=1239168  877

Quote Originally Posted by BMW4LIFE View Post
    okay that makes me feel a lot better...

I noticed the oil on the second plug from the front of the car so I started shoving paper towels to soak up as much as I could before I could pull the plug.

But I do have to say that I am happy it is not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I will look into the value gasket...do I need to remove the plugs again to change that?

What should I do regarding the pistons? Should I run seafoam?
    If you change the vc gasket you will need to remove the plugs. Do you have a Bentley repair manual. it should tell you how, Also search this and other forums for diy.

I would not seafoam the engine at this time. Not sure you have a problem. Even so, i would run a fuel system cleaner such as Chevron Techron or Gumout Regane to generally clean injectors, valves and possibly carbon on pistons.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    If you change the vc gasket you will need to remove the plugs. Do you have a Bentley repair manual. it should tell you how, Also search this and other forums for diy.

I would not seafoam the engine at this time. Not sure you have a problem. Even so, i would run a fuel system cleaner such as Chevron Techron or Gumout Regane to generally clean injectors, valves and possibly carbon on pistons.
    yea I was planning on doing that once my tank got to Empty...

I hear a lot of people running the chevron with tech...but have you heard anything about the red line injector cleaner? is there a difference between any of these?

non working pics removed
    Last edited by shogun; 01-30-2023 at 03:16 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast