GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: No engine start after sitting for 2 1/2 months

Default No engine start after sitting for 2 1/2 months

I had to save up some money to be able to replace my fan clutch [2nd time in 2 years ] I was going to test to see if the new one worked right or not and the engine would not turn over

I set a trickle charge on the battery for a few hours and got some promising sounds out from the car, but still would not start

Anything special I should look at or do to make sure I get it started up right after sitting for a long time? Just want to make sure I dont do anything to harm the engine. Just finished paying off the lil bit I had left on the loan for the car too >.<

[Been a while since ive been on! but that is just because I have not had any problems with the old gal!]

BTW Gale... Love your version of seat twist fix that was posted! made things so much easier Might add, with a S2 (I think IIRC) bit and a cordless drill you can move the motor with that to make ti align up easier if your seat is really out of sync with the other side

The battery might be dead for good. You already know it ran down to dead as it wouldn't do anything when you tried to start it.

How old is the battery? What brand & size is it?

Being how it's that dead you'll want to let it trickle charge at least overnight, 24 hours would be better.

If I was you I might want to pour a little oil down the fill and down the filter canister as well before you try to start it.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

I will check in the morning, I had posted this right before I left for work, I am going to drain as many fluids as I can before giving it another try tomorrow.

Transmission I gotta drop the pan correct?

I have let my E34 and E30 sit doing nothing for more 3 months.
    but instead I have always disconnected the battery. Always always do that, even if you battery is supposed to survive it. it is just a waste of battery life otherwise.
    and I have never had trouble starting after a long sleep.
    trickle charge over 24 hours or replace.
    it will be easier to work from there.

I agree, pull the battery and have it checked at a parts house. Autozone etc. They do this for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkboot View Post
    I will check in the morning, I had posted this right before I left for work, I am going to drain as many fluids as I can before giving it another try tomorrow.

Transmission I gotta drop the pan correct?
    Should be absolutely no reason to drain any fluids. Like I said I'd pour a little fresh oil down the fill and filter just so it's not a fully dry start.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Well, one new battery and some swapping of relays and about 2 hours of guessing got her started right up! Snakeyes and I noticed that the fuel pump was not coming on and I always get a stomp test code for the fuel pump relay [even tho it was changed out the first time I saw it] So we figured what the hell, start swaping them out, and TADA, she lives!

Was a little scary at first with the Trans Program warning coming up on the dash, but after we tightend down the battery and tried her once more and drove to put some gas in the tank, there was no longer the message [whew?]

Thanks for the help guys!

Default Another success

Another success. These are some amazing machines

Quote Originally Posted by Milkboot View Post
    Well, one new battery and some swapping of relays and about 2 hours of guessing got her started right up! Snakeyes and I noticed that the fuel pump was not coming on and I always get a stomp test code for the fuel pump relay [even tho it was changed out the first time I saw it] So we figured what the hell, start swaping them out, and TADA, she lives!

Was a little scary at first with the Trans Program warning coming up on the dash, but after we tightend down the battery and tried her once more and drove to put some gas in the tank, there was no longer the message [whew?]

Thanks for the help guys!

Low voltage will trigger tons of errors... even on newer cars.