GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Fuse in DME box...

Default Fuse in DME box...

This is a quick question. I was just wondering what the 50 AMP fuse was in the box where all the computer harnesses are? Just curious.
    Thanks

Captain Dan
    1995 530i
    1977 530i

Post a picture please. I know of no 50 amp fuse other than one shown in the Bentley for the electronic throttle control. this one should be in the seperate smaller relay box on the left side I believe.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Post a picture please. I know of no 50 amp fuse other than one shown in the Bentley for the electronic throttle control. this one should be in the seperate smaller relay box on the left side I believe.
    Yeah I couldnt find it anywhere in the wiring diagrams, but I did find two people in past post that had them, but no one knew what it went to. I will get a picture up tomorrow.

Captain Dan
    1995 530i
    1977 530i

Heres the picture. That fancy red fuse in the middle there.

Name:  121_1875.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  97.7 KB

Captain Dan
    1995 530i
    1977 530i

Unclip the holder and pull it up to determine wire colors and size. Perhaps then it can be identified. I suspect it is for the throttle and the Bentley book indicates the wrong position for it on the diagram.
    According to Bentley the wires to fuse 55(electronic throttle control module) are red & red/gry/yel. Gotta be it, it's the only 50a fuse in the schematic.
    Last edited by Ross; 02-12-2010 at 08:09 AM.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Unclip the holder and pull it up to determine wire colors and size. Perhaps then it can be identified. I suspect it is for the throttle and the Bentley book indicates the wrong position for it on the diagram.
    According to Bentley the wires to fuse 55(electronic throttle control module) are red & red/gry/yel. Gotta be it, it's the only 50a fuse in the schematic.
    Any idea why it would be 50A ? if my maths is not letting me down, that's 600Watts ! Seem's a little Excessive for an electronic throttle. Having said that (and thought about it for more than 3 seconds) it would need to accelerate the throttle plate very quickly and so might well have a peak usage around 50A. Still seems ott, but then I don't design cars

Ill check it when it stops raining. According to my wiring diagram there is another fuse thats 50 amp for the ABS system, but it suppose to be under the seat. Ill also confirm that is under there today.

Captain Dan
    1995 530i
    1977 530i

In my m20 there is a 50A fusible link located just outside of the e-box. There is supposed to be some kind of 'link' underneath all the relays and computers and it powers the main relay, fuel pump, dme, and all the engine-related stuff (injectors etc). I have hooked up an ammeter to it and I get 30A at idle. Not to thread-hijack but I don't really know if that is a lot or not - if anyone knows please chime in I think my voltage problem is there somewhere.

Anyway if your battery is under the seat I think that 50A fuse is supposed to be somewhere different to where mine is not sure... it's a direct link to the battery anyway.