GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paging Regal, SHogun, Bill R., or anyone else regarding Tranny fluid

Default Paging Regal, SHogun, Bill R., or anyone else regarding Tranny fluid

Hi I have read like a million articles on tranny fluid and finally decided that I am going to change mine and was wondering what the top three tranny fluids are that you guys would use?

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/ca...0207/C0014.oap

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...s&pageNumber=1

thanks!
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3314&dateline=1239168  877

most of the stuff linked I have never seen in our country, O'Reilly - Automatic Transmission Fluid ?

I use Chevron, but only because I can get it cheap from COSTCO here.

I've put at least 60 quarts of transmission fluid into my m50/4l30e equipped 525i over the past 7 years for routine maintenence. I've only gotten a batch of bad transmission fluid once, and it was advance auto parts dexiii/merc. none of the brands noticeably improved/degraded shift quality. you can even put walmart dexiii/merc in there if you want with no ill effects. if you are set on buying from oreilly, just buy the store grade, or maybe the name brand stuff that is closest in price to the oreilly (excluding coastal, they've had some qc problems over the last couple of years).
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine View Post
    I've put at least 60 quarts of transmission fluid into my m50/4l30e equipped 525i over the past 7 years for routine maintenence. I've only gotten a batch of bad transmission fluid once, and it was advance auto parts dexiii/merc. none of the brands noticeably improved/degraded shift quality. you can even put walmart dexiii/merc in there if you want with no ill effects. if you are set on buying from oreilly, just buy the store grade, or maybe the name brand stuff that is closest in price to the oreilly (excluding coastal, they've had some qc problems over the last couple of years).
    I was actually looking at the Mobile 1 full synthetic?

what is your feeling on that? Where should I but Tranny oil from then?
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3314&dateline=1239168  877

Don't waste your money on synthetic. Your tranny doesn't need it. The important thing is you change your fluid regularly to flush out the contaminant.

If you want, go halfway... semi synthetic like Pennzoil Multi Vehicle... should be under $4 a quart. I prefer to use Valvoline Dextron ATF for regular stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by BMW4LIFE View Post
    I was actually looking at the Mobile 1 full synthetic?

what is your feeling on that? Where should I but Tranny oil from then?
    If you only change it once every 25k-30k miles or so, that should work. If you are changing it more frequently, you could put the walmart gallon jug stuff in there and it would be fine.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

I change mine every 30,000 or so. My last fill was Castrol Dexron VI. I think my next fill will be Valvoline Dexron VI as it is supposedly fully synthetic. 180,000 mile on the original trany-so far . I understand Dexron III is no longer licensed so be carefully of what you put in. IMO, go with Dexron VI.

Regardless of another posters comment, I think synthetic is the best way to go. However, where can you find fully synthetic Dexron III fluid. Mobil 1 used to make it and I used it on a previous fill. However, Mobil 1 changed the name after the III license ranout. So I am not sure if it is the same.
    Last edited by Russell; 02-06-2010 at 02:19 PM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    I change mine every 30,000 or so. My last fill was Castrol Dexron VI. I think my next fill will be Valvoline Dexron VI as it is supposedly fully synthetic. 180,000 mile on the original trany-so far . I understand Dexron III is no longer licensed so be carefully of what you put in. IMO, go with Dexron VI.

Regardless of another posters comment, I think synthetic is the best way to go. However, where can you find fully synthetic Dexron III fluid. Mobil 1 used to make it and I used it on a previous fill. However, Mobil 1 changed the name after the III license ranout. So I am not sure if it is the same.
    hmmm...So from what I have understood so far from all the posts so far is that I should use Syn...stay away from Dex III and get IV...and that Mobile 1 is iffy...

Oh no...I feel like I am back at square 1...haha...

Hey Russell from the two part stores that I have provided the links can you please post what links of tranny oils are the best?

thanks guys for all your help!!! =)

The transmission on your car was originally spec'd for Dexron II. Putting in any name brand transmission fluid that says "dexron III" compatible will be ok. It is too long after the spec for anyone to claim compatibility with dexron II. buy on price if you want. if you want to spend a significant amount more than dextron iii, you can put the VI in there--but remember, you usually pay 5+ for the stuff in an auto parts store. go to walmart, if you live in the US, and see if they sell a generic VI fluid.

any dexron III compatible fluid will work. i'd advise you to stay away from AAP because of my anecdote, coastal for a questionable reputation in general.

and VI is NOT fully synthetic.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW4LIFE View Post
    hmmm...So from what I have understood so far from all the posts so far is that I should use Syn...stay away from Dex III and get IV...and that Mobile 1 is iffy...

Oh no...I feel like I am back at square 1...haha...

Hey Russell from the two part stores that I have provided the links can you please post what links of tranny oils are the best?

thanks guys for all your help!!! =)
    Last edited by ryan roopnarine; 02-06-2010 at 05:07 PM.

Yes, Dextron is DEXTRON... don't care for what number it is... 1,2,3,4,5 and now 6?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast