GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good few weeks of car work....

Default Good few weeks of car work....

Over the last few weeks a have gotten years worth of car work done with all my free time: Intake gaskest, New MAF, Oil Change, Diff Fluid Change, Took apart dash for light changes, Fixed the hinge on the gas door, and today I did the transmission fluid, Boy what A PITA that was. And according to the date on the filter and the brown color of the fluid this was the first time it was changed in 160,000k, wow. Good thing I only changed 1/3 of it. But the best part was when I finally found the block # and found that I had an alusil block! I was pretty excited. According to the block it was made from 97, but I wonder what year it was put in? Does anyone know if they made a huge batch of the in 97 when they started putting them in or if they continued to manufacture them?
    Now if I can get rid of that damn 1221 code, I'll probably cry with excitement........

Still a good few weeks.......

Captain Dan
    1995 530i
    1977 530i

The dealer has the warranty information for your car which will include when the engine was replaced.
    My dealer doesn't mind looking this stuff up but I've heard of others who refuse or deny the information is available so you may have to try several.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Yeah the two dealers around me said they only have information from their work. I just assummed they dont really care about a 15 year old car. I just emailed BMWUSA, I am hoping they can help or at least be willing to point me in the right direction.

Captain Dan
    1995 530i
    1977 530i

Hey

I had a couple questions for you...

a) how does the tranny feel now that you changed the fluid?

b) how hard was it to change the diff fluid

c) what fluid did you use

d) notice a difference in the diff

thanks
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3314&dateline=1239168  877

Oooops, sorry I got a little ahead of myself, I dont know why I wrote I already did the diff fluid, I was planning on doing that in a few days, ill post after I do it. The tranny, I only empty what was in the pan and changed the fluid, because I didn't want a bunch of fresh stuff clearing stuff out and getting it in the passages or filter. The fluid was nasty anyway brown if not black, looked exactlly like the oil I just got out of the motor. Anyway, it already seems to shift better, but I havent really reemed on it not wanting to mess it up, but I assume if there was going to be a clog it would happen within the first few miles. I am going to do it again in probably another 10k, but there is improvement.

Captain Dan
    1995 530i
    1977 530i

to be honest....my main concern is for my tranny to start slipping...

someone along time ago here on this board told me that "if isn't broken...don't fix it" so I have like 100K on that tranny since I have owned it and have not changed the fluid...

I want to because I have began to notice random hard shift especially in S3 mode...

if anyone could advise (properly) I would really appreciate it! =)
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3314&dateline=1239168  877

1221 code removal, you did reboot the computer right?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by BMW4LIFE View Post
    to be honest....my main concern is for my tranny to start slipping...

someone along time ago here on this board told me that "if isn't broken...don't fix it" so I have like 100K on that tranny since I have owned it and have not changed the fluid...

I want to because I have began to notice random hard shift especially in S3 mode...

if anyone could advise (properly) I would really appreciate it! =)
    Change a little at a time and you should be fine. It's when people take them to shops that flush everything at once and usually use generic fluid that isn't compatible that really starts trouble.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    Change a little at a time and you should be fine. It's when people take them to shops that flush everything at once and usually use generic fluid that isn't compatible that really starts trouble.
    Hey Regal do you know how hard it is to change out the fluid and filter?

is there a write up of it somewhere on the site?

thanks

Yep. Tried both having the battery disconnected (which I assume does it) and removing the harness in the boxunder the hood. Both times after new intake gaskets and a used but known working MAF. Came back on within a few minutes. No Change, And aside from the o2 sensors or a pluged cat, I dont know what to try next.

Captain Dan
    1995 530i
    1977 530i

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast