GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Heater Blower motor on the fritz

Default Heater Blower motor on the fritz

It's f'in cold here with the windchill around -10º so what perfect timing it is for the Blower motor to crap out.

How tough is it to replace and where best (cheapest) to get the part?

Vince
    1952 MG TD
    1963 MGB
    1967 MGB GT Special
    1974 MGB Roadster
    1991 Ford Ranger
    1997 BMW 528I
    2000 Harley Davidson Softail
    2004 Ford Expedition

Quote Originally Posted by vping View Post
    It's f'in cold here with the windchill around -10º so what perfect timing it is for the Blower motor to crap out.

How tough is it to replace and where best (cheapest) to get the part?

Vince
    It is pretty easy to get to on my car - just have to remove a washer fluid tank and unclip the wires that run along the firewall so that you can move them out of the way. Here is a pic with the firewall panel removed.

There is a plastic gutter that is easy to maneuver out then you get here.

It's just those 2 clips and the strap... you have to pull the plastic cover out and then the blower is just sitting there with an electrical connector.

It didn't take me all that long but I didn't have much to take off... maybe with a bigger engine it would be a little more awkward.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Mine was a bit of a pain. Everything was really stiff from the cold and every time I touched something plastic it broke.

I wish it were that easy Shogun just to have to replace brushes. The shaft is pretty well seized in their bushings. I lubed it a little, and it turns but is very stiff. I'd rather try and fix it than buy a new one which range any where from $50 used to $230 new. This is on ebay of course and I have not contacted BMW for a price yet.
    1952 MG TD
    1963 MGB
    1967 MGB GT Special
    1974 MGB Roadster
    1991 Ford Ranger
    1997 BMW 528I
    2000 Harley Davidson Softail
    2004 Ford Expedition

go to my website, Ross sent me a nice write up how to use a Mercedes Benz blower motor which is cheaper, with pics.

What symptoms are you guys getting? My blower sometimes works ok and other times it either stops or it makes a grinding noise, it always works on full though although it doesn't seem to pump out much heat even if the heat is set to 28. I've been living with it because I can't get the right blower (for auto climate control) and a new one is £300!
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

get one from the U.S., on Ebay now they offer them sometimes new for 120 $ or so, probably not Bosch of course.

I have 2 used ones on stock, tested them also, even the brushes are o.k.
    They come from E32 model with IHKA.
    But to send over to the U.K. is too expensive.
    You could try to get one from Andre in Germany, he is the biggest E32 and e34 used parts dealer at the moment and the favourite supplier to the 7-forum members.
    http://stores.shop.ebay.de/7er-Teile__W0QQ_armrsZ1
    Andre ships worldwide, he also speaks a bit English, if he does not have it on the Bay, just send him an email, that is in each of the offers shown.
    Under Klimaanlage = aircon/heating there are some blower motors
    http://stores.shop.ebay.de/7er-Teile...34Q2ec0Q2em322

search for: GEBLÄSEMOTOR

he has a Siemens there, so better check which model yours is.

Of course also the sword (if you have that) or the resistor could be defective as you mentioned about full speed only.

Default blower motor

You may have fixed this already. If not, then check with GKeuroparts.com - he has some bosch motors w/o fans for e34s.

I put one in 2 weeks ago. Only concern is you need to pull the fans and be concerned about breakage. I pulled the motor out of the car and got the fans off before I ordered.

One caution is that the shaft on my original was a bit longer, and I measured how far to put the fans on off the end of the shaft. Measure your center to center distance and put them on one at a time and check fit.